Position: Software Engineer
Site: MaRS Centre, Toronto
101 College Street, Suite 800
Toronto, Ontario M5G 0A3
Department: Informatics & Bio-computing
Reports To: Program Director, Informatics and Bio-computing (Dr. Lincoln Stein)
Salary: $70,271 per annum
Hours: 35 Hrs/week
Status: Full-time, Temporary
The Ontario Institute for Cancer Research (OICR) is seeking a Software Engineer who will assist a small, dedicated, and distributed team in designing and implementing a scalable architecture and web interface to a vast array of biological data supporting a global community of researchers.
The responsibilities include:
• Assist in engineering a high availability, scalable data management system;
• Evaluate and assist in exploring migration paths from legacy systems to more modern approaches;
• Develop new types of biological displays for genomic data;
• Assist in maintenance of established displays via an established Perl framework;
• Help end users in data mining tasks and support desk problems;
• Liaise with distributed team members to resolve data integration, distribution, and visualization issues;
• Work collaboratively with members of the OICR genome, bioinformatics and medicinal chemistry platform to identify and solve other data management and visualization issues;
• Provide high quality documentation and reports throughout the course of employment.
• Bachelors degree in Computer Science, Bioinformatics, or related field with a minimum of three years experience;
• Demonstrated ability to address scalability and data management issues using solutions such as EC2, Hadoop/Hoop/HBase/HDFS, and NoSQL variants;
• Fluency in the Perl programming language;
• Knowledge of relational databases and interfacing via ORMs;
• Experience with all phases of software engineering and best practices, from testing to deployment;
• Familiarity with source code management;
• Avid interest in new technologies and social media.
OICR is an innovative cancer research institute located in the MaRS Centre in the Discovery District in downtown Toronto. OICR is addressing significant challenges in cancer research with multi-disciplinary, multi-institutional teams. New discoveries to prevent, detect and treat cancer will be moved from the bench to practical applications in patients. The OICR team is growing quickly. We are innovative, dedicated professionals who bring expertise to each of our roles. We are looking for individuals interested in being part of a culture of excellence that will result in Ontario being recognized internationally as a leading jurisdiction for cancer research.
Launched in December 2005, OICR is an independent institute funded by the Government of Ontario through the Ministry of Research and Innovation.
For more information about OICR, please visit the website at www.oicr.on.ca.
POSTED DATE: January 3, 2014
CLOSING DATE: Posted until filled
OICR has a diverse workforce and is an equal opportunity employer.
The Ontario Institute for Cancer Research thanks all applicants. However, only those under consideration will be contacted.
Resume Format: If you elect to apply, you will need a text or HTML version of your resume so that you can cut and paste it into the application box provided. Before you submit the completed application, you will be asked to attach one or two files to your application. Please attach your resume as a .doc file.