Position: Front End Web Developer
Site: MaRS Centre, Toronto
Department: Informatics & bio-computing
Reports To: Manager, Web Development
Salary: Commensurate with level of experience
Hours: 35 Hrs/week
Status: Full-time, Permanent
The Ontario Institute for Cancer Research (OICR) is seeking a Front End Web Developer to help create web applications and database-driven web services.
You have a passion for UI design and front-end application development. You have a desire to build high quality and creative online applications. You work collaboratively with teams to solve problems. You thrive in a dynamic environment. You love to learn and incorporate the latest technologies, great designs and modern tools into your work and you have a professional commitment to upgrade your technical skills on an ongoing basis.
This is your opportunity to apply your passion for web development to projects in scientific research.
The responsibilities include:
Work with the team to build high-quality web pages and user interfaces for web applications:
• Build page layouts based on wireframes/mockups and workflows/storyboards;
• Build online user interface interactions to create useful features and pages on different web platforms and devices;
• Build front-end functionality from feature requirements in an Agile, iterative and phased approach. Work to enhance the proposed solution and produce great user experiences;
• Test presentation and functionality on modern browser technologies and devices. Find/fix problems, document/review, and work within the team to follow them to conclusion;
• Maintain website code against frameworks and systems upgrades;
• Direct and develop your own professional skills and help coworkers when asked and take the initiative when you have something to contribute.
• Five or more years of web development experience as a front end web developer;
• Three or more years of experience in hand-coded, standards-compliant HTML and CSS;
• Two or more years of experience writing PHP/SQL for database applications. Ideally over a content management system or database-entity frameworks. We are using DRUPAL;
• Three or more years of experience working in Linux, Apache, and MYSQL environments;
• Successful completion of an undergraduate degree.
• Development experience with different modern browser technologies and devices;
• Development experience using REST web services including JSON/XML data.
• Tools experience using browser developer tools, using debuggers and IDEs, using command line UNIX Shell and setting up LAMP on Virtual Machines;
• Tools experience with version control tools (e.g. Subversion, Git), issue tracking tools (e.g. JIRA), Agile planning tools (e.g. Greenhopper), and Collaborative Sharing (e.g. Wiki);
• Knowledge of the Agile methodology including sprints and test-driven development;
• Knowledge of User-centered Design and/or user-experience artifacts;
• Knowledge of markup for SEO and WAI-ARIA;
• Knowledge of HTML5 and CSS3.
• The candidate should be a positive, forward-thinker with an ability to work on detailed-oriented tasks and to think calmly and rationally when under pressure of sprint timelines.
Applicants should have a demonstrated track record and are advised to provide public sources of past accomplishments and/or working samples with their application.
OICR is an innovative cancer research institute located in the MaRS Centre in the Discovery District in downtown Toronto. OICR is addressing significant challenges in cancer research with multi-disciplinary, multi-institutional teams. New discoveries to prevent, detect and treat cancer will be moved from the bench to practical applications in patients. The OICR team is growing quickly. We are innovative, dedicated professionals who bring expertise to each of our roles. We are looking for individuals interested in being part of a culture of excellence that will result in Ontario being recognized internationally as a leading jurisdiction for cancer research.
Launched in December 2005, OICR is an independent institute funded by the Government of Ontario through the Ministry of Research and Innovation.
For more information about OICR, please visit the website at www.oicr.on.ca.
POSTED DATE: September 30, 2013
CLOSING DATE: Posted until filled
OICR has a diverse workforce and is an equal opportunity employer.
The Ontario Institute for Cancer Research thanks all applicants. However, only those under consideration will be contacted.
Resume Format: If you elect to apply, you will need a text or HTML version of your resume so that you can cut and paste it into the application box provided. Before you submit the completed application, you will be asked to attach one or two files to your application. Please attach your resume as a .doc file.