Position: Chemistry Postdoctoral Fellow
Site: MaRS Centre, Toronto
Department: Drug Discovery Program
Reports To: Director
Salary: Commensurate with level of experience
Hours: 35 Hrs/week
Status: Full Time
The Ontario Institute for Cancer Research (OICR) is seeking a Postdoctoral Research Scientist with expertise in synthetic organic chemistry for its Drug Discovery Program. The successful candidate will have a broad repertoire of synthetic organic chemistry experience and will have demonstrated a record of high productivity in synthesizing complex natural products and/or drug-like compounds.
The candidate is expected to:
• Conduct Structure Activity Relationship (SAR) studies on hits generated from various biochemical screens;
• Design and prepare new molecules to improve the potency and properties of screening hits;
• Collaborate effectively with members of a multidisciplinary team to achieve project milestones;
• Solve synthetic challenges and implement optimal synthetic routes to prepare desired small molecules;
• Maintain a knowledge of new synthetic routes and methodologies;
• Work effectively under pressure and tight timelines;
• Accurately record experimental procedures and data in electronic notebook format;
• Communicate effectively with internal and external collaborators.
• PhD in Synthetic Organic Chemistry;
• Extensive experience in the synthesis and characterization of small molecules;
• Extensive experience in the design and execution of synthetic routes to prepare desired final products;
• Familiarity with the development, execution and running of small molecule biology screens, as well as the drug discovery processes and timelines in general desirable;
• Great team player and excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
• Highly motivated self starter who enjoys an element of ambiguity and is willing to adapt to a changing environment.
OICR is an innovative cancer research institute located in the MaRS Centre in the Discovery District in downtown Toronto. OICR is addressing significant challenges in cancer research with multi-disciplinary, multi-institutional teams. New discoveries to prevent, detect and treat cancer will be moved from the bench to practical applications in patients. The OICR team is growing quickly. We are innovative, dedicated professionals who bring expertise to each of our roles. We are looking for individuals interested in being part of a culture of excellence that will result in Ontario being recognized internationally as a leading jurisdiction for cancer research.
Launched in December 2005, OICR is an independent institute funded by the Government of Ontario through the Ministry of Research and Innovation.
For more information about OICR, please visit the website at www.oicr.on.ca.
POSTED DATE: October 21, 2013
CLOSING DATE: March 31, 2014
OICR has a diverse workforce and is an equal opportunity employer.
The Ontario Institute for Cancer Research thanks all applicants. However, only those under consideration will be contacted.
Resume Format: If you elect to apply, you will need a text or HTML version of your resume so that you can cut and paste it into the application box provided. Before you submit the completed application, you will be asked to attach one or two files to your application. Please attach your resume as a .doc file.