Position: Automation Developer
Site: MaRS Centre, Toronto
Department: Informatics & bio-computing
Reports To: Manager, Sequencing Production Bioinformatics
Salary: Commensurate with level of experience
Hours: 35 Hrs/week
Status: Full-time, Permanent
The Ontario Institute for Cancer Research (OICR) is seeking Automation Developer to support the Sequencing Production Bioinformatics team. The Automation Developer is a junior to intermediate technical role that requires an individual with proven skills in computing, and who is dedicated to building and supporting an automated, scalable, big data management platform.
The Automation Developer will provide support for the management of next-generation sequencing data and the operation of a high-throughput production sequencing data analysis pipeline using OICR’s 8000 core, 3.5 Petabyte HPC computing environment.
The ability to design processes and write software tools to effectively manage big data in a Linux environment is mandatory for this role. Experience with LIMS, workflow automation, OGS (Open Grid Scheduler), HPC computing, good software development practices, and big data management are strongly desired skills for the successful candidate.
The responsibilities include:
• Plans, organizes, describes, reports, and controls data resources related to sequencing informatics data analysis projects;
• Develops scalable processes that optimize the flow, management, and resource utilization of next generation sequencing data throughout the data lifecycle;
• Ensures that data is managed efficiently, securely, and without loss or corruption through its lifecycle;
• Writes software to automate data management processes;
• Integrates existing software applications to build a robust data management platform;
• Ensures the production automation infrastructure is operational and meeting the day to day needs of all stakeholders;
• Works with various stakeholders (Genome Technologies, Research IT, Production Team, Project Leads) to characterize and resolve problems with production software systems;
• Provides support and training to end-users (research laboratory staff, remotely located collaborative users);
• Responsible for documenting and communicating data management processes and building the team knowledge base.
• Demonstrated experience in the required skill set as described
• Must have advanced Linux development and system administration skills
• Proficiency with some Linux based scripting language(s) required, Perl is preferred
• Experience with Java is required
• Experience with big data management is highly desired;
• Familiarity with PII (Personally Identifiable Information) concepts and processes regarding protection of PII is desired;
• Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in computer science, computer engineering, or related discipline is desired;
• Experience supporting a high availability production software environment is desired;
• Experience providing end-user software support, diagnosing and resolving end-user issues
• Experience with any next generation sequencing platform is a benefit;
• Willingness to be accessible and respond to production pipeline issues outside of normal working hours;
• Must have excellent communications and interpersonal skills.
OICR is an innovative cancer research institute located in the MaRS Centre in the Discovery District in downtown Toronto. OICR is addressing significant challenges in cancer research with multi-disciplinary, multi-institutional teams. New discoveries to prevent, detect and treat cancer will be moved from the bench to practical applications in patients. The OICR team is growing quickly. We are innovative, dedicated professionals who bring expertise to each of our roles. We are looking for individuals interested in being part of a culture of excellence that will result in Ontario being recognized internationally as a leading jurisdiction for cancer research.
Launched in December 2005, OICR is an independent institute funded by the Government of Ontario through the Ministry of Research and Innovation.
For more information about OICR, please visit the website at www.oicr.on.ca.
POSTED DATE: October 21, 2013
CLOSING DATE: Posted until filled
OICR has a diverse workforce and is an equal opportunity employer.
The Ontario Institute for Cancer Research thanks all applicants. However, only those under consideration will be contacted.
Resume Format: If you elect to apply, you will need a text or HTML version of your resume so that you can cut and paste it into the application box provided. Before you submit the completed application, you will be asked to attach one or two files to your application. Please attach your resume as a .doc file.