Job Number: 839302
Location: Houston, Texas
Posted Date: May 23, 2019
Closing date: 22-Jun-2019
Department Name: 900 - Information Technology
Job Status: Full-Time
Role and Responsibilities
Manages operation and security of databases. Works with software developers to design and develop databases, queries, etc. for storing business information such as product information and clients’ information. Also maintains the database.
- Works closely with IT Director and Programmers to provide optimum business solutions.
- Carries out regular maintenance work and troubleshooting when problems arise.
- Monitors the performance and growth of the database and optimizes performance (manages indexes, reviews stored procedures, etc).
- Provides on-call support and troubleshooting.
- Designs and implements a security plan for databases by specifying appropriate access for users, developing plans/policies to monitor and prevent inappropriate access.
- Assists Programmers in developing tables, queries, stored procedures, etc.
- Provides information on optimizing database access.
- Works with QC to setup appropriate testing.
- Moves database changes into production environment.
- Manages disaster recovery and plans for possible failure modes by developing and monitoring maintenance plans and backups.
- Keeps up with current technology and develops solutions for company’s future growth.
- Maintains documentation on database policies/procedures (backups, access, moving changes to production, etc).
- Maintains documentation on setup specifics (users, rights, etc.).
- Provides reports database status, activity, security, projects, etc.
- Performs essential job demands for this position
- Performs other duties and assists with department needs as assigned
Qualifications and Education Requirements
- 2+ years of SQL Server Database Administration
- Expert understanding of database design concepts
- Expert understanding of SQL Server stored procedures and T- SQL programming
- Significant experience implementing security into SQL Server environments
- Intermediate level Production DBA skills and practical experience (indexing, database consistency checks, backups and recovery, security, etc.)
- Should have a general understanding of Windows
- BS degree in Computer Science or equivalent qualification
- Ability to write any documentation required including: Specifications / Functional Technical documents / and ERD diagrams
- 1+ years of .NET exposure
- Knowledge of SQL Server 2003
- Problem Solving; Ability to solve complex problems. Looks beyond obvious solutions, and experiments with different approaches to solving problems
- Mentorship; Must have sufficient technical knowledge on a wide variety of leading industry products, programming languages, operating systems, databases etc. which can then be effectively taught to other members of the team in both a training and mentoring/support role.
- Should be meticulous, organized and complete.
- Should keep up with the latest developments in technology, tools, and processes.
- Ability to change direction in response to changing work situations.
- Team-oriented and dependable with well developed interpersonal skills and work habits.
- Quick-learner and self-starter who requires minimal supervision.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Able to work overtime when necessary..
- Job Knowledge – Competent in required job skills and knowledge. Exhibits ability to learn and apply new skills. Keeps abreast of current developments. Requires minimal supervision. Displays understanding of how job relates to others. Uses resources effectively.
- Quality – Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness. Displays commitment to excellence. Looks for ways to improve and promote quality. Applies feedback to improve performance. Monitors own work to ensure quality.
- Problem Solving – Identifies problems in a timely manner. Gathers and analyzes information skillfully. Develops alternative solutions. Resolves problems in early stages. Works well in group problem solving situations.
- Analytical Skills – Synthesizes complex or diverse information. Collects and researches data. Uses intuition and experience to complement data.
- Teamwork – Balances team and individual responsibilities. Exhibits objectivity and openness to others’ views. Gives and welcomes feedback. Contributes to building a positive team spirit. Puts success of team above own interests.
- Communication – Writes clearly and informatively. Edits work for spelling and grammar. Speaks clearly and persuasively. Listens and gets clarification. Participates in meetings.