Working Here at St. Michael's Hospital
You are viewing a vacancy at St. Michael’s Hospital, now a member of a new health network along with Providence Healthcare and St. Joseph’s Health Centre. Together, we are committed to a shared purpose of advancing the health of our patients and our urban communities.
Job Title:Application Specialist
Department:IT - Clinical Systems
Job Category:Information Technology
New Work Type:Full-Time Permanent
Salary Range:$39.55 - $47.23 per hour
FTE Assignment (Cas=0.000001):1.0
The role of the Application Specialist is to provide a level of service that exceeds our customer’s expectations. This person must have polished customer service skills in a fast-paced environment supporting mission critical clinical and business systems. Clear communication, professionalism, follow-up, commitment, and attention to detail are mandatory.
The primary duties for this group include resolving software related issues, coordination and follow-up on client questions or problems, performing software maintenance and upgrades, as well as participating in corporate and operational projects. In-depth application and business knowledge is essential, requiring a highly skilled individual who must constantly update their knowledge to keep abreast of upgrades, functionality, and continually evolving business needs.
This individual will participate in a 24/7 on-call rotation and carry a mobile device.
- Serves as a product expert to the organization.
- Provides issue and problem resolution of reported systems and application issues, while keeping the user community regularly informed of your progress. Coordinates with systems managers and vendors to resolve complex malfunctions.
- Proactively monitors and evaluates the effectiveness of applications and hardware platforms and collaborates with colleagues regarding adequacy and performance, to ensure systems offer the highest possible reliability and performance.
- Works together with technical teams and user groups to solve business problems with available technology including hardware, software, databases, and peripherals.
- Monitors and reviews the progress of version upgrades, participates in and oversees quality assurance activities, and develops/manages product documentation. Conducts or coordinates usability testing and focus groups, where applicable.
- Preparescomprehensive and accurate documentation regarding system configuration, specifications, and technical processes.
- Develops a disaster recovery strategy and detailed recovery plans; tests recovery procedures on an annual basis.
- Provides support to the Project Management Office (PMO) for information technology projects, or initiatives impacting the operations of supported applications.
- Researches innovative technology solutions to improve the overall management and maintenance of the environment and presents findings to the leadership team.
- Implements approved changes to meet the ever evolving expectations of customers/users.
- Participates in long-range strategizing, technology research, and future systems planning.
- Provides a variety of guidance, coaching, and training to less-experienced staff.
- Develops and delivers effective presentations to departmental managers, colleagues, users/customers, or other stakeholder groups.
- Takes reasonable steps to safeguard the information in the custody or control of St. Michael’s Hospital, from such risks as unauthorized access, collection, use, disclosure, copying, modification, disposal, or destruction.
- Participates in Request for Information (RFI’s) and/or Request for Proposals (RFP’s), as required and/or plays a role in the acquisition, possible customization, and implementation of commercially available software.
- Participates in 24x7 on call support rotation. The hours for this position will be flexible to cover planned or unplanned events which may include weekends.
- Degree in Health Services, Health Information Management, Business Administration or related field, or an equivalent combination of work experience and education
- Minimum of 7-10 years of progressive experience in a healthcare role supporting mission critical systems in a healthcare environment (acute care academic and research hospitals preferred)
- Solid understanding of IT dependency, particularly in EMRs, and how IT is applied in clinical practices
- Experience with enterprise-level environments with the ability to participate in administrator-level tasks including installs, upgrades, maintenance, and tuning activities for servers, databases, and applications
- Knowledge of, or experience with, one or more data integration middleware products (e.g., JCAPS), for the exchange of healthcare information (i.e., HL7)
- Knowledge of, or experience with, of databases technologies (e.g, Oracle), methods to communicate to the database (e.g., T-SQL, PL-SQL), as well as, business intelligence tools (e.g., Crystal Reports)
- High degree of professionalism and ability to work efficiently in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to distill complex thoughts and strategies into simple, memorable terms that colleagues and customers can grasp and act upon
- Excellent at building positive rapport with team members, as well as, customers/users or other stakeholders
- Ability to apply logical thinking to information gathering, analyzing data for root cause determination, brainstorming resolutions options with identified risks, and the ability to formulate plans, communicate, and execute agreed-upon action
- Able to multitask and manage concurrent operational responsibilities and project assignments
- Demonstrated high-level of initiative and ability to operate with high levels of autonomy
- Ability to work under time constraints and adapt quickly to change
- Ability to work collaboratively within a team environment is a must
- Excellent time management and organizational skills
Application Instructions: Qualified candidates must submit a cover letter with their application.