Working Here at St. Michael's Hospital
You are viewing a vacancy at St. Michael’s Hospital, now a member of a new health network along with Providence Healthcare and St. Joseph’s Health Centre. Together, we are committed to a shared purpose of advancing the health of our patients and our urban communities.
Job Title:Payroll Manager
Job Category:Human Resources
New Work Type:Full-Time Permanent
Salary Range:Salary under review
Length of Temporary Assignment:n/a
FTE Assignment (Cas=0.000001):1.0
The Manager of Payroll is accountable for delivering payroll and transactional service excellence for Unity Health Toronto’s (3 sites – Providence, St. Joseph’s and St. Michael's Health centres) management team, it's over 11,000 employees and to all third-party stakeholders, both internally and externally for all 3 sites. The role provides exceptional leadership in directing, mentoring, coaching and developing a cross-functional and dynamic team of 12 staff that administers payroll, time and attendance and day-to-day customer service and support activities across the hospital's network.
This includes resource planning and work priority setting in support of all requirements covering payroll;
- Managing those organizational processes and employee events in the employment life cycle that have a payroll component;
- Oversee source data quality, accuracy and financial integrity; plus, coordinating and supporting HR information.
- Ensures customer service standards are in place
- Lead for providing Payroll metrics as it relates to network benchmarks;
- Co-leads the selection and successful implementation of new systems (HRIS);
- Identifies and implements best practice initiatives and continuous improvement activities;
- Develops strategies, operating policies, processes, systems, tools, financial controls and procedures.
The Payroll Manager has 3 key areas of responsibility:
Effectively manage the Hospital's day-to-day payroll operations, compliance adherence, control framework and reporting requirements.
- Develop a sound control framework and proactively identify and manage risks
- Update and maintain annual payroll schedules to meet legal, contractual and hospital requirements.
- Conduct the final review of each payroll’s final reconciled output and authorize/approve the Hospital’s financial commitment to the direct deposit file submission and bank funding for each payroll run.
- Responsibility over the audit and control activities for each payroll cycle, plus the reconciliations and timely submission of all payroll-related statutory filings and payments to government agencies as they relate to Threshold 2 withholdings
- Ensure accurate assessment of taxable benefits, reconciliation and remittances of group benefits, including all year-end reporting for T4’s/T4A’s and T4ANR’s as well as the Healthcare of Ontario Pension Plan
- In partnership with the Business Informatics department, assist in developing the test environment criteria and test scripts, plus oversee the requisite user acceptance testing as it relates to system configuration changes, semi-annual taxation updates, year-end T4 changes, plus adoption of changes triggered by new terms and conditions within the collective bargaining agreements or hospital policies.
- Coordinate acceptance and implement quality control measures related to promoting system updates and enhancements from the test environment to production.
- Manage the payroll accounting requirements related to the general ledger financial reporting, interfaces and oversee the reconciliation of all payroll and legislative withholdings accounts
- Keep apprised of all legislative changes and collective bargaining agreement modifications impacting payroll and ensure the Hospital’s leadership, employees, payroll staff and other key stakeholders are effectively informed in that regard.
- Ensures any requests for payroll-related information and/or internal reports are analyzed properly and disseminated in a timely manner and in accordance with approved privacy legislation and the Hospital’s confidentiality and data sharing protocols.
- Develop, maintain and execute the testing related to the payroll business continuity plan.
Develop the necessary talent and lead the Payroll services function. Enable operating excellence by delivering efficiently and effectively across all payroll-related processes to meet the changing needs of the Hospital and to achieve a fully compliant, positive and exemplary employee experience.
- Create a healthy work environment, based on best practices in HR leadership, including adherence to Collective Agreements, the networks’ Code of Conduct and core competencies.
- Mentor, develop, inspire and lead the payroll team to achieve the department’s objectives, while promoting a strong culture of service excellence, quality outcomes, problem-resolution and innovation
- Prioritize and balance staff workload to ensure quality outcomes and concurrent deadlines are met
- Provide guidance to staff regarding functional, procedural and technical issues
- Foster an atmosphere of continuous learning, professional development and performance improvement
- Create channels to solicit input, liaise, support and share feedback with HR, Finance, IT, Hospital operating departments and other key stakeholders.
- Chair staff meetings to efficiently cover new or evolving departmental goals, process changes, continuous improvements and staff development / training needs.
As the payroll leader and prime subject matter strategist for the team, you will be accountable for providing both functional and technical support to identified project teams throughout the development and implementation of the new harmonized system.
- Working closely with key stakeholders, take a co-leadership role as the payroll representative on a major project that includes the planning, requirements definition, selection, configuration, data conversion and successful harmonization of a new Human Resources Information System.
- Review, document and update existing functional requirements, policies and procedures.
- Identify best practice opportunities, process gaps and system-enablement improvements to reduce the current significant volumes of manual intervention and redundant efforts in processing paper-based payroll transactions; transferring time and attendance data into payroll; tracking vacation/statutory holiday/sick time banks; and processing related adjustments and retro pay.
- Working closely with the Hospitals’ Business Informatics, Finance and HR departments, identify, oversee and execute best practice changes related to payroll service delivery, roles/responsibilities, accountabilities, processes and controls, in advance and in preparation for the implementation of a new HRIS and payroll module.
- Degree or Diploma in Business Administration, Accounting, Finance or Human Resources Management
- Certified Payroll Manager (CPM) certification through the Canadian Payroll Association is required
- 7+ years of full cycle payroll experience, with at least 5+ years of managerial experience
- Experience managing large payrolls for multiple sites for both non-union and unionized staff with multiple collective agreements
- Hospital or Healthcare experience is preferred
- Knowledge of Infor systems ideal
- In depth knowledge of Canadian payroll legislation, Employment Standards, Taxation rules and year end reporting processes
- Excellent communication skills in dealing with both internal departments and external agencies
- Strong attention to detail, and proven ability to take initiative, make independent decisions, exercise sound judgment, develop creative solution and meet deadlines.
- Demonstrated analytical and problem solving skills
- Ability to maintain composure and handle multiple conflicting priorities in a fast paced environment.
- Demonstrated experience identifying and implementing process and service improvements on a continuous basis
- Hands on experience with leading system upgrades or conversions
- Previous experience developing system requirements, designing and prototyping, testing, training, defining support procedures and implementing practical business solutions under multiple deadlines is strongly preferred
- Demonstrated ability to interpret and apply Canadian Legislation in relation to employee payments