Working Here at St. Michael's Hospital
You are viewing a vacancy at St. Michael’s Hospital, now a member of a new health network along with Providence Healthcare and St. Joseph’s Health Centre. Together, we are committed to a shared purpose of advancing the health of our patients and our urban communities.
Clerical Assistant - Perioperative Services
Job Title:Clerical Assistant - Perioperative Services
Department:Periop Services Admin
Job Category:Administrative/Clerical Support
New Work Type:Casual
Salary Range:$22.68 - $27.08 per hour
FTE Assignment (Cas=0.000001):0.000001
The primary role of the Clerical Assistant is to provide administrative and clerical support to the daily operations of the unit. The scope of the position requires proficient skills related to customer service, communication and computer technology. The Clerical Assistant interacts with internal and external health care providers, staff, patients, families, and administration to provide fair, timely and equitable patient access to services.
- Provide a broad range of secretarial and clerical support to the daily operations of a specific department
- Provide excellent customer service – first contact by phone, in person and electronically for patients, staff and visitors; answers and forwards messages, facilitates pages to physicians/consult service providers, manages flow of patients/clients/visitors in a customer focused manner
- Coordinate timing and record keeping relating to patient admission, discharges, transfers and tests, maintaining patient charts (e.g., standardized packages, thinning, team labels, names, file old charts upon discharge)
- Arrange and coordinate appointments and meetings as necessary e.g., arranges for follow-up outpatient appointments at discharge
- Collaborate with patient care team (physicians, nurses, clinical assistants, health disciplines, USWs) to support patient care flow, family visiting or other unit/department coordination processes
- Manages requests in a timely manner, based on priority
- Organize transfers, services and equipment for the unit e.g., ambulance transfers, porter, requests for maintenance of unit supplies and equipment and keep log of equipment sent out e.g., to Engineering, coordinate with consult services and portable diagnostics
- Review, order and/or pick up supplies and equipment and maintain inventory, with oversight from CLM or designate
- Update hospital bed management system and unit patient boards
- Updates infection control patient status and related signage
- Graduate of a recognized Office Administration program or equivalent
- Minimum 1 year of operating room clerical experience required.
- Medical Terminology Certificate required.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook
- Communicate clearly and fluently in English
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Good judgment and discretion
- Work well under pressure
- Highly organized and efficient time manager
- Problem solver
- Must be able to prioritize and multitask
In this position you may be required to work day, evening, weekend shifts and/or statutory holidays on a rotational basis as per the specific needs of the department.