Working Here at St. Michael's Hospital
You are viewing a vacancy at St. Michael’s Hospital, now a member of a new health network along with Providence Healthcare and St. Joseph’s Health Centre. Together, we are committed to a shared purpose of advancing the health of our patients and our urban communities.
Neuroscience Clinical Nurse Educator - Trauma and Neurosurgery Program
Job Title:Neuroscience Clinical Nurse Educator - Trauma and Neurosurgery Program
New Work Type:Full-Time Permanent
Salary Range:$43.21 - $51.59 per hour
FTE Assignment (Cas=0.000001):1.0
Reporting directly to the Program Director of the Trauma and Neurosurgery Program, the Neuroscience Clinical Educator for the TN Program will work collaboratively with other education and clinical leadership staff in the Program to provide comprehensive, evidence-informed education of staff related to specialized neurosurgical diagnoses medical/nursing management and holistic care delivery.
In addition to addressing neuroscience education at St. Michael's hospital, this role further supports both the goals and objectives of the TN Program and the Ministry of Health and Long Term Care (MOHLTC) to support a comprehensive provincial neurosurgical plan to support care and access to neurosurgical care for the residents of Ontario. In this role, the Educator will work closely with MOHLTC Neurosurgical Network to develop and implement a regional and provincial strategy to support the care of the neurologically impaired patient.
The Neuroscience Clinical Nurse Educator serves as a role model and leader to support nursing care that optimizes patient outcomes and experiences while enhancing the safety, efficiency, effectiveness and accessibility of patient care. The primary role of the Neuroscience Clinical Nurse Educator is to facilitate a learning environment where evidence-based knowledge is translated via education to optimize the patient’s outcomes and experiences.
The Clinical Nurse Educator has 3 main areas of responsibility.
- Education and staff development, particularly in relation to nurses
- Assess learning needs and styles of nursing staff
- Design and deliver education that is tailored to specific needs of unit/program
- Evaluates the effectiveness of education, revises education and learning activities to support changes
- Provides timely feedback to nursing staff on their learning and application to their practice competence
- Collaborates and participates with Professional Practice to identify and support Corporate nursing initiatives
- Engages members of the intra and interdisciplinary team, management team, Professional Practice and across hospital departments in planning, developing, implementing, and evaluating Corporate and other educational initiatives
- Participates in the hospital’s network of Clinical Nurse Educators and works with other Clinical Nurse Educator colleagues
- Collaborates with Clinical Leader Manager in interviewing in interviewing, hiring and contributing to the evaluation of nursing staff
- Participates in research projects that contribute to nursing and/or interprofessional practice and education
- Participates in the implementation of evidence based practice and quality improvement initiatives including corporate initiatives
- Registration with the College of Nurses of Ontario
- Master’s degree in Nursing or Education
- CNA certification in Neuroscience Nursing
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant experience
- Recognition as a neuroscience expert
- ICU experience required