Physician Assistant Emergency
Job Title:Physician Assistant Emergency
Job Category:Health Disciplines
New Work Type:Full-Time Temporary
Salary Range:$39.55 - $47.23 per hour
Length of Temporary Assignment:12 months
FTE Assignment (Cas=0.000001):1.0
St. Michael’s Hospital’s Emergency Department (ED) is currently under development tripling in size to become a best in class department by December 2018. ED staff and physicians provide comprehensive acute and/or primary care to 77,000 patients annually from our local community and from a large referral population for trauma, neurosurgery, stroke and cardiac services. St. Michael’s is a leading academic and research hospital committed to advancing knowledge and discovery from the classroom and lab to the bedside.
Reporting to the Clinical Leader Manager, the Physician Assistant (PA) works with Emergency Physicians to provide exemplary patient centered care. The Physician Assistant will assess, diagnose, order investigations, order treatments, and support discharge planning for a broad spectrum of emergency patients.
The PA also participates in orientation and education sessions as necessary.
POSITION SPECIFIC ACCOUNTABILITIES:
Physician Assistants increase Emergency Physician productivity by assisting in:
- Physical and psychosocial patient assessments
- Utilize primary and secondary assessment results to formulate a differential diagnosis and determine if further clinical investigation is required.
- Order and complete preliminary interpretation of diagnostic tests.
- Perform the following procedures: venipuncture, arterial blood gas sampling, intraocular pressure measurement, visual acuity testing and rectal examination for occult blood.
- Implement the following interventions/procedures: suturing of simple wounds, debridement of wounds, incision and drainage of abscesses, casting and splinting of reduced or undisplaced fractures.
- Monitor patient progress and response to treatment
- Arranging interventions and post-discharge appointments
- Communicate diagnoses to patients / families
- Provide relevant information and explanations, including a proposed treatment plan, to the supervising physician and seek further direction where appropriate.
- Provide education to patients, families and other health providers as appropriate
- Communicate with other members of the health care team and other hospital departments, both verbally, in writing and electronically.
- Ability to speak and read English to effectively perform essential requirements of this position
- Strong communication, interpersonal and telephone skills
- Has a solid understanding and knowledge of human rights and diversity issues; fosters a healthy workplace free from discrimination and harassment. Is a leader in encouraging and supporting human rights and equity in the workplace.
- Promotes a fair culture of patient/staff safety that encourages open discussion of issues and reporting of incidents.
- Anticipates needs and obstacles and sets realistic goals that lead to optimal results, enhanced patient satisfaction and quantifiable service improvements based on evidence-based practice.
Learning & Innovation:
- Contributes to the ongoing learning and development of others and ensures others have the instructions, rationale and/or resources.
- Offers learning opportunities to staff on an equitable basis.
- Maintain clear, accurate and appropriate records of patient encounters and management plan, including: assessment notes, progress notes and discharge notes as needed, procedure notes, consultation requests.
- Other duties as assigned by a Physician.
- Successful completion of the Physician Assistant Bachelor degree
- Certification of Physician Assistants (NCCPA)
- Certified or eligible to be certified through the PACC (Physician Assistant’s Certification Council)
- Current BCLS, ACLS, PALS, NALS Certification.
Relevant Work Experience:
- Previous Physician Assistant experience in an Emergency Department.
Hours of work:
- Flexibility required, including working nights, week-ends, statutory holidays, etc.