Working Here at St. Michael's Hospital
You are viewing a vacancy at St. Michael’s Hospital, now a member of a new health network along with Providence Healthcare and St. Joseph’s Health Centre. Together, we are committed to a shared purpose of advancing the health of our patients and our urban communities.
Laboratory Technologist - Biochemistry
Job Title:Laboratory Technologist - Biochemistry
Department:Diagnostic Labs Biochemistry
Job Category:Health Disciplines
New Work Type:Casual
Salary Range:$37.26 - $41.41 per hour
FTE Assignment (Cas=0.000001):0.000001
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- As part of a team, performs pre-analytical, analytical and post analytical functions in routine Biochemistry/Toxicology.
- Prioritizes workload and ensures work, including STATS are completed in the required time frame.
- Follows SOPs in the completion of all duties.
- Performs preventive and as required maintenance procedures and troubleshoots equipment problems.
- Adheres to all elements of the quality program including testing appropriate QC samples, performing QA activities, and, assessing results.
- Maintains records (QC, QA, equipment, inventory, etc.).
- Reports and documents unexpected or non-conforming events/incidents.
- Liaises with internal and external customers.
- Participates in the development and maintenance of the quality system by writing/updating SOPS.
- Adheres to the laboratory safety program.
- Works under the general supervision of the Operations Leader- Biochemistry.
- Rotates work stations as required and assigned by Operations Leader.
- The above describes duties are representative but are not to be construed as all inclusive.
- Current registration with the College of Medical Laboratory Technologists of Ontario (CMLTO).
- Strong theoretical knowledge in Biochemistry/Toxicology and demonstrated ability to apply knowledge to fulfill duties on all routine Biochemistry benches (Automation, Blood Gases, Toxicology, etc.).
- Well developed analytical, critical thinking and problem solving skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and prioritize workload in a fast paced environment.
- Demonstrated ability to work cooperatively and constructively with other lab team members.
- Strong interpersonal and communication (written and verbal) skills.
- A commitment to St. Michael’s Hospital mission, vision and values.
- A commitment to continuing education in Biochemistry.
- An excellent attendance record.
HOURS: Must be willing and able to work all rotating shifts on days, evening, nights and weekends.