Working Here at St. Michael's Hospital
You are viewing a vacancy at St. Michael’s Hospital, now a member of a new health network along with Providence Healthcare and St. Joseph’s Health Centre. Together, we are committed to a shared purpose of advancing the health of our patients and our urban communities.
Laboratory Technologist - Blood Transfusion
Job Title:Laboratory Technologist - Blood Transfusion
Job Category:Health Disciplines
New Work Type:Casual
Salary Range:$37.78 - $41.99 per hour
FTE Assignment (Cas=0.000001):0.000001
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- As part of a team, performs pre-analytical, analytical and post analytical functions in Transfusion Medicine.
- Rotates work stations as required and performs other related duties as determined by their Operations Leader/Technical Specialist.
- Prioritizes workload and ensures work, including STATS are completed in the required time frame.
- Identifies abnormalities in test results and takes appropriate action; if necessary to seek advice from appropriate resources.
- Reports and documents unexpected or non-conforming events/incidents.
- Prepares, authorizes and interprets laboratory results.
- Responds to all inquiries regarding specimen collection, results and interpretation.
- Performs routine and preventative maintenance, calibration and troubleshooting on laboratory instruments.
- Follows SOPs in the completion of all duties.
- Adheres to all elements of the quality program including testing appropriate QC samples, performing QA activities, and, assessing results.
- Participates in the development and maintenance of the quality management system by writing/updating SOPS.
- Liaises with internal and external customers.
- Adheres to the laboratory safety program.
- Participates in material management, inventory management, safety management, performance management and quality assurance.
- Participates in the training of technologists, laboratory students, medical students and residents.
- Participates in technical research and development activities and continuing education.
- Participates in test development and validation
- Other duties, as required.
- Must be registered with the Ontario College of Medical Laboratory Technologists (CMLTO) and possess a current CMLTO registration certificate with Transfusion Medicine discipline.
- Must have recent experience in hospital Transfusion Medicine Lab (within the last two years).
- Must be proficient in computer software applications (ie. Microsoft Office).
- Must demonstrate ability to work independently and prioritize workload in a fast paced environment.
- Must have strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Must be committed and able to work cooperatively and constructively with other team members
- Must understand and be committed to the Hospital mission and values.
- Must be punctual and have an excellent attendance record.
- Experience in quality principles, teaching, research/development systems are an asset
HOURS: Must be willing and able to work all rotating shifts (including evenings, nights, weekends & statutory holidays)