Working Here at St. Michael's Hospital
You are viewing a vacancy at St. Michael’s Hospital, now a member of a new health network along with Providence Healthcare and St. Joseph’s Health Centre. Together, we are committed to a shared purpose of advancing the health of our patients and our urban communities.
Writer, Research Li Ka Shing Knowledge Institute
Job Title:Writer, Research Li Ka Shing Knowledge Institute
Department:LiKa Shing Knowledge Institute
New Work Type:Full-Time Temporary
Salary Range:$34.39 - $41.07 per hour
Length of Temporary Assignment:12 months
FTE Assignment (Cas=0.000001):1.0
Healthy Debate is a web site that produces analysis and commentary about Ontario and Canada’a health care system, with about 100,000 page views a month. Our vision is a high quality health care system designed by an informed population. Our mission is to provide accurate, accessible information about health care to the public, practitioners, journalists, students, managers and policy makers; to be a forum for thoughtful deliberation about Canada’s health care systems; and to increase the frequency with which health system leaders use evidence and informed public input when making policy and management decisions.
Healthy Debate is undergoing a redevelopment, which will include greater patient involvement and more of a focus on education, and will be hosted within the Department of Medicine at the University of Toronto. Healthy Debate is looking for a full time writer/editor who will work closely with Dr. Andreas Laupacis (Editor-in-Chief) and the Healthy Debate editorial board to help lead this redevelopment. The successful candidate will edit material submitted to the site, research and write original content, manage the operations of the site, and teach patients, students and faculty members how to write about health care issues for a public audience. We are a small team that prides ourselves on having a meaningful impact while respecting work-life balance.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Editing articles, opinion pieces and other material that have been submitted to the site
- Research and write original content on health topics. Research for these articles will include reviews of scientific literature, credible web sites and other gray literature sources, as well as interviews with experts and patients. Writing must be accurate and understandable by non-experts
- Work with patients to help them formulate ideas for stories, opinion pieces, photojournalism pieces, videos and other material for the site
- Work with medical students, residents and faculty in the Department of Medicine, and patients and members of the public, to help them formulate ideas for stories, opinion pieces, photojournalism pieces, videos and other material for the site, and help them produce the material, and edit their work
- Work with patients in all aspects of the site, including as members of the editorial team, suggesting topic ideas, writing material and modifying the approach to content of the web site from time to time
- Apply best practices in Search Engine Optimization to ensure Healthy Debate content is discoverable, and continuously stay abreast of evolving best practices
- Apply best practices in social media promotion in channels such as Facebook, Twitter and Instagram to promote Healthy Debate and its content
- Manage all aspects of the Healthy Debate website, including posting material on the web site, monitoring the comments section, analyzing site traffic using Google Analytics and routine site maintenance.
- Work with a web development team as necessary to redesign the website to align with strategic goals
- Work with the editorial team (about 12 members) on a regular basis to develop ideas for articles, opinion pieces, and to set strategic direction for the site.
- Report to Dr. Laupacis, Editor-in-Chief
Skills & Qualifications
- University degree in the area of journalism, communications, education, health care or an acceptable equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum five years of relevant experience in a journalism, editing and/or communications role
- Experience conducting interviews on complex topics in health care
- Knowledge of Ontario/Canadian health care system
- Experience managing an online publication, including experience with web publishing platforms (e.g., Wordpress), search engine optimization, social media promotion, page layout, photo editing, and Google analytics
- Experience coordinating freelancers
- Experience and expertise in teaching in one-on-one, seminar and classroom settings
- Experience working with multiple stakeholders including patients, the public, researchers, clinicians, policy makers and journalists
- Demonstrated experience with project management and proven ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Photography, Videography and film editing experience an asset
- Excellent editing and plain-language writing skills
- Ability to search, read, and interpret scientific literature
- Proficiency in retrieving and evaluating grey literature
- A self-starter possessing the ability to identify and action priorities and to work independently
- The ability to maintain the highest standards of quality control for both their own work and the work of others