Working Here at St. Michael's Hospital
You are viewing a vacancy at St. Michael’s Hospital, now a member of a new health network along with Providence Healthcare and St. Joseph’s Health Centre. Together, we are committed to a shared purpose of advancing the health of our patients and our urban communities.
Research Special Projects Manager Critical Care Research
Job Title:Research Special Projects Manager Critical Care Research
New Work Type:Full-Time Temporary
Salary Range:$39.55 - $47.23 per hour
Length of Temporary Assignment:12 months
FTE Assignment (Cas=0.000001):1.0
The Critical Illness and Injury Research Centre (CIIRC) at St. Michael's Hospital is looking for a Special Projects Manager to oversee and guide the development of the International Forum for Acute Care Trialists (InFACT) network.
Founded in 2008, the International Forum for Acute Care Trialists (InFACT) is an international umbrella organization of more than thirty groups, on every continent of the planet, that conduct investigator-initiated research into the optimal care of acutely ill patients. The vision of InFACT is to improve the care of acutely ill patients around the world through the promotion of high quality clinical research into the causes, prevention, and optimal management of acute, life-threatening illness. InFACT member groups have led the most impactful and highly-cited clinical trials in critical care; in building collaborations through InFACT, they seek to address issues of common interest, and to enhance the profile and impact of investigator-led acute care research with funders and decision-makers around the world.
The Special Projects Manager will develop and undertake strategic projects assigned by the InFACT Chair/Scientific Director and Executive Committee to support this vision. Primary responsibilities include project management, project coordination and communication.
The Special Projects Manager will oversee the day-to-day operation of the network, engage with the network’s membership and collective goals including enhancing our investigator-led research programs, developing the network and programs, enhancing mentorship and training programs, engaging stakeholders and creating a strong strategic/business plan. Reporting to the Chair, the Special Projects Manager must possess the ability to be self-directed in work and have the business, management and leadership skills to create a vision and strategic plan for InFACT. This individual will work with the Scientific Director to provide oversight of a small team of professionals who will assist in implementing our vision. This individual must also be able to work proactively with partners to source funds to support the role and InFACT initiatives.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Lead and execute Administrative and Project Management activities for the Scientific Director of InFACT/CIIRC
- Develop and design a strategic plan incorporating business needs, sustainability, and future development priorities to achieve InFACT goals and engage key stakeholders
- Plan, develop and implement an effective communication/PR strategy to facilitate working partnerships between investigators, members and key stakeholders of InFACT, and to create a dynamic InFACT presence on social media and the InFACT website
- Build strong ties with member groups to determine their priorities and needs
- Organize quarterly videoconferences with InFACT council
- Identify opportunities to forge new partnerships and raise the profile of inFACT.
- Maintain a comprehensive and accurate website profile for InFACT and its activities, including monitoring and coordinating the appropriate use of mailing lists
- Support activities of InFACT working groups as needed – Outcome Measures, Education and mentoring, Antimicrobial Resistance, Pandemic readiness, Global Cohort studies
- Contribute to development of InFACT proposal for a global surveillance network for antimicrobial resistance in the ICU
- Conduct day-to-day independent work related to CIIRC/InFACT (e.g., independent duties performed or decision making in the context of: coordinating and running meetings, requesting information from InFACT stakeholders and members, analyzing information and disseminating information to InFACT members/stakeholders, managing projects)
- Work with InFACT Executive and Council to develop InFACT policies and operating procedures
- Prepare annual report and templates for online communications and records
- Act as the liaison and first-point of contact between InFACT members, researchers and external third-parties.
- Plan, assist with and execute large scale events such as symposia or international retreats and/or meetings for InFACT
- Bachelor’s degree in health, health-related science or business-related field, Masters preferred (e.g., Msc, MPH, MBA or related);
- Experience preparing strategic plans
- Familiarity with research environment and ability to carry out research related tasks/projects (e.g., grant applications, managing projects, funding schemes)
- Conference or event management experience
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Proven leadership, influencing and relationship building skills
- Ability to work independently and proactively, and willingness to take initiative to develop and execute on deliverables
- Strong project management/coordination skills and internal process-building skills
- An aptitude for accuracy, detail and problem-solving
- Ability to develop and manage budgets
- Experience in writing grants and securing funds for core network activities and programs
- Ability and willingness to learn new skills as the needs arise
- Previous experience in research environment and candidates with a research background considered assets
- Strong Microsoft Office skills
- Familiarity with social media and website maintenance an asset
- Some travel required
This is a one year term position in the first instance; contingent upon the implementation of a sustainable business plan, it may evolve into a longer term role.