Working Here at St. Michael's Hospital
You are viewing a vacancy at St. Michael’s Hospital, now a member of a new health network along with Providence Healthcare and St. Joseph’s Health Centre. Together, we are committed to a shared purpose of advancing the health of our patients and our urban communities.
Staff Scientist - Hematology Research
Job Title:Staff Scientist - Hematology Research
New Work Type:Full-Time Permanent
Salary Range:$77,337 - $146,542 per annum
FTE Assignment (Cas=0.000001):1.0
The Keenan Research Centre for Biomedical Science of St. Michael’s Hospital, a fully affiliated hospital with the University of Toronto, is currently seeking a full time Staff Scientist with an interest in platelet-related research. The candidate will be expected to establish a conceptually innovative, competitive and independently funded basic research program relevant to the platelet biology, blood coagulation, thrombosis and hemostasis, immune-mediated thrombocytopenias and/or bleeding disorders.
The Keenan Research Centre (KRC) for Biomedical Science at the St. Michael's Hospital is a dynamic research institute, focusing on basic science and translational research. It is home to 123 principal investigators, whose interest spans form basic cell and molecular biology through animal models of disease to clinical trials. The KRC is equipped with integrated research facilities, including a state-of-the-art cores for Bioimaging (e.g. confocal, TIRF, FLIM microscopy, opticoacoustic tomography), Flow cytometry and Cell sorting (e.g. 11-colour FACS, ImageXpress), Molecular biology/Genomics (e.g. Illumina next generation sequencing, Nanonstring), Microfabrication (e.g. 3D printing), Histology (automated tissue processing) as well as a top-quality Vivarium and Zebra fish facility. The KRC works in close collaboration with the recently founded Institute of Biomedical Engineering Science and Technology (iBEST).
- PhD required.
- MD or equivalent in related field a significant asset.
- 5 years or more of experience
- Preferred candidates will have a record of research excellence, including successful research funding and prestigious fellowships and publications. Individuals completing post-doctoral training with exceptional track records will also be considered.
- Priority will be given to applicants with skills in cellular/molecular biology/biochemistry, advanced imaging and/or physiological/pathological studies.
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- All candidates must be able to function proficiently in English.
Please submit the following documentation:
- A current curriculum vitae and
- A brief statement (1-2 pages) including both research accomplishments and future plans.
Should you have any questions on the above please contact AimolaS@smh.ca
The candidate will be working out of St. Michael’s Hospital at 30 Bond Street in Toronto, Ontario and/or at Li Ka Shing Knowledge Institute at 209 Victoria Street in Toronto, Ontario.
The successful candidate will be eligible for an academic appointment at the University of Toronto. Rank and salary will range from $77,337 to $146,542.50 per annum commensurate with qualifications and experience. The successful candidate will be eligible for a benefits package which includes medical, dental, life insurance, long term disability insurance, group insurance, pension plan, vision care. The successful candidate will also be eligible for research start-up funding, research space and relocation assistance.
The SMH research enterprise strives to achieve equity and fairness within our community.