Working Here at St. Michael's Hospital
You are viewing a vacancy at St. Michael’s Hospital, now a member of a new health network along with Providence Healthcare and St. Joseph’s Health Centre. Together, we are committed to a shared purpose of advancing the health of our patients and our urban communities.
Research Financial Coordinator
Job Title:Research Financial Coordinator
New Work Type:Full-Time Permanent
Salary Range:$24.63 - $29.42 per hour
FTE Assignment (Cas=0.000001):1.0
The Office of Research Administration (ORA) at Providence Healthcare, St. Joseph’s Health Centre and St. Michael’s Hospital (The Network) strives to communicate value-added information so well-informed decisions can be made while adhering to internal and external controls, policies and procedures, to ensure governance, accountability and transparency. The ORA’s Finance team continues to build an environment where each person is valued, respected and has opportunities for personal and professional growth.
The ORA is currently seeking a Research Financial Coordinator with strong organizational and analytical skills to provide administrative, financial and customer service oriented support in a demanding and complex environment. This challenging role will support the management and administration of 50+ Activities, be a key role in the month end process and provide support to the Researchers, the Senior Director of Operations, the Manager Research and Trust Finance, University of Toronto administration, and the Research Community (external sponsors (provincial, federal, non-governmental not-for-profit agencies). This role provides an opportunity to learn and develop skills for future advancement in an academic healthcare setting.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Management and oversight of over 30 research administration accounts.
- Management and oversight of over 20 ORA infrastructure accounts.
- Be the main point of contact for the ORA with the St. Michaels Foundation and process transfers.
- Ensure compliance for transactions related to research expenses purchased with Procurement Card.
- Manage research accounts related to direct costs.
- Perform month end journal entries related research operations (ie. Vivarium, REB, etc)
- Perform month end journal entries related to cheques and wires.
- Develop and refine financial operational training manuals for the research community.
- Deliver training to new Principal Investigators joining The Network.
Financial Reporting & Analysis
- Prepare reconciliations related to CIHR Salary and Operating payments on a monthly basis
- Prepare Balance Sheet reconciliations related to various research accounts on a monthly basis.
- Prepare monthly reports and narratives related to research administration account.
- Identify outstanding and issues related to department Accounts Receivables.
- Prepare monthly financial reports related to internal and external funding.
- Develop operational solutions to streamline processes and improve timeliness and accuracy of reports
- Communicating to Principal Investigators and Capital Account holders about financial results and policies and procedures
- Cultivates effective working relations, represents the ORA and consults with internal and external stakeholders, other divisions and members of the research community.
- University Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent professional experience in a finance environment is required.
- Complete or working towards a recognized accounting designation (CGA,CMA, or equivalent) is required
- Must have 1-3 years’ experience working in an office environment.
- Must have strong computer skills, with an advanced understanding of MS Excel, MS Word, MS Outlook and Adobe Acrobat
- Working knowledge of MS Access Preferred
- Experience with the GEAC: Lawson Reporting System Preferred
- Self-starter with the ability to manage multiple projects and meet deadlines
- Excellent analytical, organizational, and multi-tasking skills
- Enjoys working as a team player within a dynamic environment
- Demonstrated initiative and willingness to learn
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to work independently and under pressure with tight deadlines
- Ability to analyze and interpret financial information and solve complex problems
- Must have strong customer service skills
- Must be comfortable in having challenging conversations with researchers (e.g., adhere to policies)
- Preferred experience working in an office environment
- High level of problem solving skills – dealing with complex and unique situations