Working Here at St. Michael's Hospital
You are viewing a vacancy at St. Michael’s Hospital, now a member of a new health network along with Providence Healthcare and St. Joseph’s Health Centre. Together, we are committed to a shared purpose of advancing the health of our patients and our urban communities.
Post Doctoral Fellow Injury Prevention Research
Job Title:Post Doctoral Fellow Injury Prevention Research
New Work Type:Full-Time Temporary
Salary Range:To be determined
Length of Temporary Assignment:12 months
FTE Assignment (Cas=0.000001):1
The Post Doctoral Fellowship (PDF) is an intensive experience that provides opportunities both for self-directed research and interdisciplinary collaboration. Strong candidates for this program have graduate level training in one or more of the following areas: statistics, biostatistics, epidemiology, health economics, computer sciences or machine learning or related fields. Applications from those with appropriate analytical skills from fields of psychology, neuropsychology, sociology, genetics, anthropology, urban studies, measurement and evaluation, policy, mathematics, spatial analysis, health services, demography, or other related fields would also be considered. A basic science or medical sciences background alone without expertise in one or more of the above fields will be insufficient for this position.
The PDF Program combines academic research, education and training, and professional work with progressive mentoring from a multidisciplinary group of professors and researchers. Fellows contribute directly to the program of research through their involvement in work groups, development of new methods, and managing and driving research projects to meet deliverables.
The purpose of the fellowship is to:
- Prepare fellows for future positions in academia, national health agencies, industry, international organizations, and foundations.
- Enhance skills in designing and implementing in-depth methodological research related to traumatic brain injury (TBI) and injury prevention.
- Develop an understanding of the current landscape, scope, and challenges of TBI and injury prevention.
- Strengthen the ability to mentor junior researchers, including students and research personnel.
- Develop skills related to writing, obtaining, and managing grants and publishing manuscripts in peer-reviewed journals
Post Doctoral Fellow will be involved in the following activities pertaining to the TBI and injury prevention projects, with a main focus on analyzing the efficacy and cost-effectiveness of the TFFK program and publish the findings on peer-reviewed journals:
- Preparing and/or performing efficacy analysis related to health outcomes of the TFFK program. Performing cost-effectiveness analysis related to the direct and indirect costs of the TFFK program
- Cluster analysis and complex multidimensional analyses including integration of geospatial and other factors in understanding outcomes of the TFFK.
- Liaising with the Institute of Clinical and Evaluative Sciences for data analyses and studies.
- Supervision of students
- Preparation and assisting in the preparation and submission of manuscripts of the study findings
- Preparation of grant proposals related to this and other studies.
Post Doctoral Fellow will be expected to complete the following:
- Take part in and oversee all aspects of at least 2 research studies, including the TFFK study
- Co-author and submit at least 3 manuscripts per year
- Develop and submit 2 grant proposals per year
- Submit Research Ethics Board applications if needed
- Supervise students, graduate and undergraduate students
- Present research findings at national and international scientific meetings
Post Doctoral Fellowships are appointed for one year, with the possibility of renewal for a second year.
To be considered for a Post Doctoral Fellowship, candidates must have the following:
- A PhD or equivalent doctoral degree in epidemiology, biostatistics, economics, psychology, sociology, health and/or medical sciences, or other related fields
- Completion of PhD within 6 years at the time of application
- A strong quantitative and qualitative analysis background
- Advanced research experience, especially with data analysis, health economics, statistical methods
- Strong writing skills
- A keen motivation to make a difference and to achieve goals