Working Here at St. Michael's Hospital
You are viewing a vacancy at St. Michael’s Hospital, now a member of a new health network along with Providence Healthcare and St. Joseph’s Health Centre. Together, we are committed to a shared purpose of advancing the health of our patients and our urban communities.
Business Analyst AHRC
Job Title:Business Analyst AHRC
New Work Type:Full-Time Permanent
Salary Range:$34.87 - $41.64 per hour
FTE Assignment (Cas=0.000001):1.0
The Applied Health Research Centre (AHRC) is an Academic Research Organization (ARO) at the Li Ka Shing Knowledge Institute of St. Michael’s Hospital in Toronto, with expertise in clinical study design, pragmatic methodology, and biostatistics. The AHRC has experience managing more than 200 multi-centre, national and international clinical trials, observational studies, and qualitative studies. It employs industry-leading web-based secure database technology, which incorporates advanced data validation and reporting tools. Over the past ten years, the AHRC has grown to be one of the largest AROs in Canada, and partners with diverse groups including the Toronto Academic Health Science Network (TAHSN), the Mayo Clinic, and the urban innovation hub MaRS.
Reporting to the Manager, Business Operations, AHRC, the primary responsibilities of the Business Analyst, AHRC are to:
- Utilize excellent analytical skills to provide support to the AHRC Leadership Team and project teams, and to ensure objectives are achieved;
- Analyze and utilize excellent understanding of data to develop effective business plans, to perform financial forecasting, and to facilitate decision-making and project progress;
- Perform AHRC project budget reviews and bookkeeping
- Contribute to the financial, operational, and statistical reporting by ensuring data quality by reviewing and scrutinizing financial and operational data, along with variance analysis (budget vs. actual);
- Communicate effectively with the units within the AHRC, and with key departments within the Hospital (e.g. Office of Research Administration, Finance) to build relationships and ensure the AHRC's goals, objectives, and business needs are achieved.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
Financial Management, Interpretation & Analysis
- Support budget preparation and performs variance analyses to support effective and efficient management strategies, identifying discrepancies from expectations, responding to queries, etc;
- Develop, analyze, and monitor financial operations and study reports, and recommend improvement initiatives based on information and report findings, as required;
- Analyze expenditure of multiple activities (cost centres), facilitating access and review of information by the Manager, Research Business Operations and AHRC Leadership Team;
- Prepare and provide monthly variance reports containing appropriate and timely information, to allow for effective evaluation of financial performance for areas of responsibility;
- Prepare and maintain reports on financial status of the AHRC projects for clients, vendors, funding agencies, and others using a combination of existing financial systems (Lawson Business Intelligence (LBI) and/or data pulls from Research Finance) and self-developed tools (Excel).
AHRC Project Budget Review & Bookkeeping
- Review and understand project budgets and payment schedules;
- In conjunction with Project Teams, compile and submit documentation for creating new project activities (cost centres) to Research Finance;
- Analyze, track, and forecast AHRC project expenditures and funding;
- Administer, coordinate, and track payments to staff, vendors, clients, sites, and other parties;
- Review and analyze studies’ activities (cost centres) to assess risk;
- Identify discrepancies with funding expected to be received and follows up;
- Prepare payment requisitions, purchase requisitions, and Purchase Card summaries for purchases of goods and services, and issues to Research Finance;
- Review expense reimbursement requisition forms and petty cash vouchers for accuracy and completeness, and issues to Research Finance;
- Confirm receipt of funding for site payments within a reasonable time.
- Prepare and submit approved billings (invoices) to clients and relevant stakeholders;
- Maintain accounts receivable (including collections) and confirms receipt of funding from clients/funding agencies within a reasonable time
Business Planning & Organizational Responsibilities.
- Provide support for projects through all phases of the project life cycle by identifying, monitoring, and tracking problem areas within the budget;
- Recommend solutions to improve processes through the elimination of unnecessary steps or through technology enhancements;
- Participate in the development of procedures for daily, weekly, monthly, and annual operational/financial information communication;
- Analyze business and financial proposals for development within the AHRC;
- Provide support for the generation and maintenance of administrative documentation for meetings with internal and external stakeholders;
- Participate in the maintenance of the AHRC (HUB) website with a view to supplying information to AHRC staff, other Hospital staff, research staff, vendors, sponsors, and clients.
- Completion of a Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration or other related field required, clinical and/or research background preferred;
- Five (5) years’ experience required, including experience with activity, workflow and organizational analysis, working with financial systems required; experience working in an healthcare environment preferred;
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office Products, e.g., Word, Excel, Access, Visio and PowerPoint, required;
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills with demonstrated ability to apply logical thinking to gathering and analyzing information;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills required;
- Excellent interpersonal skills required;
- Excellent coordinating and facilitating skills required;
- Ability to implement advanced strategies for gathering, reviewing and analyzing data requirements;
- Ability to prioritize requirements and apply best practices for effective communication and problem solving required.