Working Here at St. Michael's Hospital
You are viewing a vacancy at St. Michael’s Hospital, now a member of a new health network along with Providence Healthcare and St. Joseph’s Health Centre. Together, we are committed to a shared purpose of advancing the health of our patients and our urban communities.
Research Manager C-UHS HIV CBR/IS/Neuro
Job Title:Research Manager C-UHS HIV CBR/IS/Neuro
New Work Type:Full-Time Temporary
Salary Range:$37.42 - $47.39 per hour
Length of Temporary Assignment:12 months
FTE Assignment (Cas=0.000001):1.0
The CIHR Centre for REACH in HIV/AIDS (REACH 2.0) is a nation-wide, innovative, virtual laboratory for intervention research, participatory evaluation, and applied program science in HIV/AIDS, Hepatitis C, and other sexually transmitted and blood borne infections. We work as a partnership that includes people living with HIV/AIDS, community based organizations, front-line service providers, health researchers, and federal, provincial, and regional policy makers.
The Research Manager is responsible for providing expert leadership and research project management for a recently awarded Team Grant through CIHR. Under the REACH program, the research manager will ensure these research projects operate with the highest standards of procedural and ethical excellence. The position will also be responsible for the financial management of REACH and requires the ability to adhere to REACH, CIHR and St. Michael’s Hospital protocols. The Research Manager will report to the Research Program Manager and Nominated Principal Investigator and will work with internal and external team members to carry out various aspects of implementing a national HIV and other STBBI research projects.
REACH 2.0 is committed to employment equity and to the greater involvement and meaningful engagement of people living with HIV/AIDS (GIPA/MIPA) in all that we do. We encourage applications from persons living with HIV/AIDS and people with culturally diverse backgrounds to join our team.
This position encompasses the overall responsibility for the development and implementation of strategies used in the conduct of research, the development and implementation of new research within the institution, in addition to the general management of a Research Program. This position will be responsible for the financial management and day to day guidance and coordination of a research program.
- All positions must be flexible to work beyond the job description at times as work demands.
- Reports to Research Program Manager and Principal Investigator.
Includes all the duties/responsibilities of the Technician IV or Coordinator III position, as well as:
- Coordination of research grant process
- Develop and/or authorize research study budgets and payment schedules
- Generation of personnel and payroll reports
Research Activities 50%
- Initiate and develop research proposals and protocols
- Adapting research findings to the development of new research studies
- Conducts administrative and technical research and contributes to professional publications, presentations, and posters
- Oversees general interim analysis of demographic, safety and efficacy data
- Responsible for training and day to day guidance and coordination of Research Assistants, Coordinators and/or Technicians, including ongoing updates of various research guidelines and regulations
- Develop and implement policies, procedures and standards for the research program
- Negotiate terms of financing with outside parties (hospital and industry based)
- Develop and negotiate research agreements and strategic alliances with outside parties
- Approve allocation of funds for unfunded research projects presented to research program
- Carry out duties of principal investigator, or co-investigator in research studies as authorized by the investigator and sponsors
- In conjunction with the Office of Research Administration, review of all confidentiality statements, legal disclosures, and legal documents
- Chair research group meetings
- Plan the long-term strategy of the program (projects, timelines, staffing and resource needs)
- Participates in material management, inventory management, safety management, and quality assurance.
- Ensure conduct of research is carried out in accordance with ICH/GCP guidelines and applicable regulations, as well as local SOPs.
Qualifications, Knowledge and Skills
- MSc in related discipline with minimum 5 years related experience.
- Excellent communication (verbal/written) and interpersonal skills are necessary.
- Excellent organizational skills to manage multiple projects in a timely manner and flexibility to adapt to changing workload.
- Experience managing multiple research projects, writing grant applications and preparing Research Ethics Board applications.
- Experience with Health Canada regulations and submissions, for both drugs and medical devices
- Familiarity with ICH/GCP guidelines and the Canadian regulatory environment.
- Professionalism and self-motivation