Working Here at St. Michael's Hospital
You are viewing a vacancy at St. Michael’s Hospital, now a member of a new health network along with Providence Healthcare and St. Joseph’s Health Centre. Together, we are committed to a shared purpose of advancing the health of our patients and our urban communities.
Program Financial Consultant
Job Title:Program Financial Consultant
Department:Budgeting & Special Projects
New Work Type:Full-Time Permanent
Salary Range:$39.55 - $47.23 per hour
FTE Assignment (Cas=0.000001):1.0
A Program Consultant (PC) is the primary contact in the Finance Department for the Programs/Departments in the Hospital. It is this relationship which reinforces data quality in our internal and external financial and statistical reporting. The PC will: (1) communicate effectively with the Programs and Support Departments building a relationship to ensure that the Hospital's Goals and Objectives are achieved, (2) contribute to the financial and statistical data quality by reviewing and scrutinizing actual and budget data, along with variance analysis, and (3) engage in special ad hoc projects from time to time to maximize opportunities and efficiencies within the Programs/Departments and within the Finance Department.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
Monthly Internal Reporting:
- Review and analyze financial and statistical results in conjunction with the Program/Department in order to evaluate monthly performance,
- Ensure revenue (funding) and expenses are matched each month; journal entries will need to be done for accruals, reallocations, etc, and
- Prepare financial and statistical monthly Program/Department narratives which are ultimately provided to senior decision makers at St. Michael's Hospital.
- Prepare Program specific reports for the Ministry of Health and others which include paper backup, analysis and settlement forms, and
- Prepare year end audit working papers for revenue and expense analysis.
Program/Department Reporting and Customer Service:
- Monthly powerpoint presentation at Program/Department meetings highlighting their financial and statistical results, along with discussing significant positive and negative variances,
- Prepare appropriate variance analysis to allow each unique area the opportunity to evaluate their financial performance with effective interpretation of the information provided,
- Provide financial and statistical performance indicators to the senior management team for decision making purposes, and
- Be involved in ad hoc projects.
- Provide training and assistance to budget preparers for their respective area of responsibility,
- Participate in budget training sessions,
- Monitor budget issues on an ongoing basis and be able to report all budget issues to senior management as required, and
- Consolidate budget submissions and perform analytical review for financial and statistical budget submissions.
- Engage in special projects to maximize opportunities and efficiencies in reporting processes and improving the quality of analysis to support Hospital decision-making processes.
- A minimum of five years of work experience in a complex organization providing broad knowledge of the financial reporting, planning, budgeting, forecasting, revenue, and business analysis and business case functions
- A minimum of three years of healthcare accounting work experience
- Background in development of internal controls and associated procedures
- Professional accounting designation, or in the process of obtaining such as CPA, CA, CGA, CMA and University or College degree in business commerce/finance
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Computer proficiency in Visio, Excel and Powerpoint, with an aptitude for learning new computer applications
- Previous experience working within an ERP environment (Lawson, Oracle, SAP) is an asset
- Knowledge of MIS guidelines strongly desired