Working Here at St. Michael's Hospital
You are viewing a vacancy at St. Michael’s Hospital, now a member of a new health network along with Providence Healthcare and St. Joseph’s Health Centre. Together, we are committed to a shared purpose of advancing the health of our patients and our urban communities.
Manager Case Costing
Job Title:Manager Case Costing
New Work Type:Full-Time Permanent
Salary Range:Salary Under Review
FTE Assignment (Cas=0.000001):1.00
The Hospital’s Finance function has accountability, in partnership with other departments and units within the organization, for all financial matters, such as financial planning, financial reporting and analysis, MOHLTC funding, taxation, etc. This position will work closely with the Deputy CFO – Financial Planning and Strategy on business case development related to funding advocacy. This work will entail management of information from case costing and other areas of the hospital to provide the details and the overall description of the advocacy efforts.
- Provide communication and education of OCCI standards and recommendations to appropriate Health Centre staff.
- Incorporate changes to OCCI standards into the Health Centre's data collection and reporting process
- Develop accountability amongst department staff and management for data submitted for case costing (includes all clinical support services, health records, and finance).
- Design and implement the necessary infrastructure (data flow), structure tables and product tables to enable cost allocation process
- Design and implement front-end processes that assess the comprehensiveness and data quality prior to OCCI submission; anticipate and correct issues before input into ADS;
- Lead the design, documentation and implementation of the network’s case costing data flow, gap analysis, readiness assessment, quality management and audit and submission processes that meet OCC Standards
- Provide analysis and input in ad-hoc initiatives as required
- Participate with other Ontario hospitals (via Canadian user group) engaged in case costing project.
- Lead and manage the development of policies and procedures related to utilization of the case costing information and data compliance with OCCI/MIS/OHRS guidelines
- Review and update all intermediate products, financial tables/hierarchies, and RVU structure tables within ADS annually (or as required).
- Engage appropriate department staff and management throughout the network to implement necessary modifications to improve the network’s data collection and reporting practices per OCC Standards and Audit Criteria
- Provide case costing education and data interpretation to internal and external stakeholders
- Act as a liaison between the Network's leaderships, programs and external stakeholders (Ministry's OCC Team, LHIN, QBP panels, etc.) where necessary
- Leading the processes to support clinical leadership and programs achieve evidence based decision making, clinical initiative, strategic planning activities and costing.
- Work collaboratively with other Finance/Decision Support teams to provide analysis of the performance impact on the network’s funding allocation
- Work with funding advocacy leadership to develop business cases for TC LHIN, MOHLTC, CCO, etc.
- Develop customized reports utilizing Crystal reporting tools and MS Excel
- Lead the integration of case costing and clinical information in supportive of senior leadership and programs with strategic and operational planning/initiatives of the network
- Provide subject matter and technical support to other DS and other Health Centre staff as required
- Supporting the education and training with regards to case costing methodology for the Hospital including Senior Leadership, program directors and managers, physicians and front-line staff.
- Conduct staff development plan and performance reviews, of direct reports on an annual basis and/or as required to ensure excellent in the provision of work activities; takes appropriate corrective action, where appropriate, up to and including termination, as required to meet identified departmental needs;
- Develops and executes strategies to build and foster an effective team environment and a culture built on respect, trust, wellbeing and lifelong learning for staff, ensuing appropriate systems are in place to facilitate succession planning and appropriate management of vacancy;
- Collaborates with the Management team to strategize on recruitment efforts for key positions to ensure the team possesses the required technical and other relevant skills to contribute to the success of the department;
- Promotes a teamwork environment where staff from diverse multilingual and multicultural backgrounds can interact productively and efficiently.
- Establish, organize and implement strategies within the portfolio and is responsible for the operations of its departments as well as the effective use of its resources (budget, staffing, etc).
- Maintains full responsibility for planning, monitoring, managing and allocating departmental budget to meet departmental goals;
- Managing resources in a manner that will optimally impact financial result;
- Reviewing the budget on an ongoing basis to ensure that actual expenditures come in on target;
- Preparing and presenting financial reports, as required;
- Completion of a degree in business or Health Information/Admin is required
- Master’s degree in Business Administration, Health Administration or Information Management is preferred
- Seven (7) years of OCCI methodology experience is required
- Three (3) years of MIS/OHRS experience is required
- Minimum of seven (7) years’ experience in Financial and Statistical analysis is required
- Minimum two (2) years of managing and/or supervising people and progressive case costing managerial experience is required
- Three (3) years of experience in project management is required
- Advanced knowledge database management systems and alliance decision support systems is required
- Completion or working towards a Certified Professional Accounting (CPA) designation is an asset
- Excellent written and verbal communication required
- Proven ability to problem solve and make conflicting decisions in pressure-driven situations is required
- Strong leadership skills are required to lead, motivate and develop staff
- Demonstrate a high-level of patient and customer focus
- Able to work collaboratively with people inside and outside the organization to achieve work objectives
- The ability to improve effectiveness and implement new ideas and more efficient approaches
- The ability to lead a specific change(s) or a program of change
- The ability to plan and coordinate work, prioritize steps to be taken, anticipate potential issues/barriers and develop contingency plans resulting in the execution of individual and team activities in a way that ensures the achievement of a set of objectives
- The ability to make timely and sound decisions which take into account all possible options and consequences
- The ability to manage and lead an effective team in order to facilitate the achievement of team objectives in support of Health Centre business strategy