Working Here at St. Michael's Hospital
You are viewing a vacancy at St. Michael’s Hospital, now a member of a new health network along with Providence Healthcare and St. Joseph’s Health Centre. Together, we are committed to a shared purpose of advancing the health of our patients and our urban communities.
Communications Advisor Media Strategy
Job Title:Communications Advisor Media Strategy
Department:Communication & Public Affairs
Job Category:Public Relations
New Work Type:Full-Time Permanent
Salary Range:Salary under review
FTE Assignment (Cas=0.000001):1.0
Unity Health Toronto, comprised of Providence Healthcare, St. Joseph’s Health Centre and St. Michael’s Hospital, works to advance the health of everyone in our urban communities and beyond. Our health network serves patients, residents and clients across the full spectrum of care, spanning primary care, secondary community care, tertiary and quaternary care services to post-acute through rehabilitation, palliative care and long-term care, while investing in world-class research and education.
The Communications and Public Affairs department is responsible for reputation management of our network, internal and external communications, branding and marketing, media relations, digital media, government and stakeholder relations and community engagement.
The Communications Advisor is an integral member of the Communications and Public Affairs team, striving to build the network's local, national and international reputation as a progressive leader in the treatment of critical care, serious illnesses, community health, rehab and complex continuing care, and research and education that impact patient care.
We are looking for an experienced, creative and highly-motivated Communications Advisor to join our team. In this role, you will be largely responsible for planning, co-ordinating media relations opportunities, including writing press releases, designing campaigns and producing content for our digital channels to help raise the profile of our network, our people and the services we provide. This position also writes content for our newsletter and external publications.
The Communications Advisor will act as an expert consultant to our interprofessional teams and leaders on strategic communication activities and how they can translate across our social media channels. You will report to the Manager of Media Strategy and work closely with our Senior Communication Advisors supporting our quality, research and education, and clinical portfolios across our network.
- Plan, co-ordinate, develop and implement products that advance and support the network’s corporate objectives.
- Assist in establishing an annual communications strategy for the health network.
- Implementation of specific components of that strategy.
- Develop, coordinate and respond to media relations opportunities including issues management.
- Lead the planning, writing and development of corporate communication strategies and campaigns that demonstrates our commitments in our Strategic Plan and promotes our brand.
- Respond in a professional and timely manner to client requests and incoming questions from the public.
- Work collaboratively within the Communications and Public Affairs team, the Foundation and with other departments.
- Act as the Communications & Public Affairs representative on a rotational basis after hours.
- Other strategic communication duties as assigned: event support, photo support, updating hospital-wide communication assets, etc.
- Undergraduate degree/diploma in journalism, public relations, communications, or related area.
- Minimum 2 to 4 years of experience required.
- Extensive knowledge of news media and social media trends and ability to foresee newsworthy stories.
- Demonstrated experience and results in successfully working with the media to implement communication strategies, public awareness campaigns, and corporate communications.
- Demonstrated experience and results in successfully working with the media to implement communication strategies, public awareness campaigns, and corporate communications. Or significant experience in daily news journalism will also be considered an asset.
- Issues management experience is an asset.
- Exceptional writer and editor; must have ability to ensure error-free materials.
- Excellent verbal communication skills.
- A keen eye for visual storytelling through photography and video.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to build relationships with a variety of internal and external stakeholders, including executives, board members,
- Results oriented, self-directed, and independent, with the ability to balance multifaceted projects and competing priorities.
- Ability to work effectively under pressure; mature judgment for assessing difficult situations.
- Results oriented, self-directed, outstanding organization and time management skills.
- High energy, flexibility and the ability to work effectively in a fast-paced environment.