Working Here at St. Michael's Hospital
You are viewing a vacancy at St. Michael’s Hospital, now a member of a new health network along with Providence Healthcare and St. Joseph’s Health Centre. Together, we are committed to a shared purpose of advancing the health of our patients and our urban communities.
Job Title:Security Guard
New Work Type:Full-Time Permanent
Salary Range:$23.09 per hour
FTE Assignment (Cas=0.000001):1.0
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Performs regular patrolling of hospital premises ensuring protection of Hospital building, property, and occupants; walking/standing during the duration of a 12 hour shift.
- Detects and corrects fire and safety hazards. Prepares written reports on all activities including pro-active reports on observed deficiencies.
- Investigates all complaints from patients, staff, visitors concerning thefts, personal injury, break-ins, fire and safety hazards, etc.
- Responds to assistance calls including fire alarms, bomb threats, violent persons, missing patients, building evacuations, help alarms, and the provision of security escorts as needed, etc.
- Interact with staff, patients, and visitors in a positive and customer service oriented manner. Enforces safety and security regulations according to Hospital and departmental policies.
- Graduate of a recognized 2 year community college program in Law Enforcement and Security, or Police/Military Academy preferred; or equivalent combination of education, training and experience will be considered.
- Previous experience in Healthcare Security an asset.
- Knowledge of computer software applications (Windows environment).
- Excellent communication (verbal/written), interpersonal, problem solving skills, and de-escalation techniques.
- Must be able to demonstrate Security's core values of honesty and integrity while ensuring the Safety and Security of the Hospital's patients, visitors, staff and assets.
- Demonstrated ability to assess and diffuse situations in an emergency situation.
- Must be punctual, and have an acceptable attendance record.
- Prospective candidates, upon selection, will submit to an RCMP criminal background check.
- Must have completed IAHSS (International Association of Healthcare Security and Safety) basic and advanced level of certification within 6 months of hire
- Must have a valid license with the Ontario private security and investigative services
- Must pass the hospital's approved training program for use of force, handcuffing, and defensive batons within 6 months of hire
Hours: Must be available to work 12 hour rotating shifts, including days, nights and weekends.