Pharmacy Technician - Pharmacy Technical Operations
Job Title:Pharmacy Technician - Pharmacy Technical Operations
Department:Pharmacy Technical Operations
New Work Type:Full-Time Permanent
Salary Range:$26.37 - $31.04 per hour
Length of Temporary Assignment:n/a
FTE Assignment (Cas=0.000001):1.0
The Pharmacy Department of St. Michael’s Hospital provides 24/7 hours of service. This includes filling unit dose carts and first doses during the night shift, supported by a fully integrated robotic system which dispenses 90% of required doses. Pharmacy Technicians support the drug distribution system and the provision of pharmacy services by performing the following functions:
- Fill, check, deliver and exchange unit dose cassettes, during night shift utilizing both manual picked and robotic prepared unit dose medications
- Repackage, replenish, charge medications in the pharmacy and on the patient care units, utilizing specialized equipment (e.g. robot technology, computer, packaging equipment)
- Using precise aseptic technique and specialized equipment, prepare sterile medication doses, including antibiotics, chemotherapy, TPN, and compounded products to support overnight and daytime pharmacy operations
- Perform all required documentation, quality control, training, and problem-solving within scope of responsibility within and outside the department
- Support 24 hour pharmacy operations through processing of interim doses, floor stock requests, and narcotic requests
- Liaise and communicate with pharmacy staff for issues related to drug distribution within scope of responsibilities
- Observe and promote health and safety standards throughout the department and hospital including proper storage and disposal of drugs, adhering to standard procedures to maintain a safe, secure work environment
- Registered with the Ontario College of Pharmacist as a ‘Registered Pharmacy Technician’
- Minimum 6 months experience as a pharmacy technician in a hospital environment, preferably with unit dose and IV additive experience.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, organization and problem solving skills; a strong customer focus; and ability to meet deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently with minimal supervision; while also able to function in a team environment
- Excellent record of attendance and punctuality
- Able and willing to work 12 hour extended shifts, including night shifts on a permanent or rotating basis (ie. half of all shifts)
- Demonstrated commitment to the mission and values of St. Michael's Hospital.