Working Here at St. Michael's Hospital
You are viewing a vacancy at St. Michael’s Hospital, now a member of a new health network along with Providence Healthcare and St. Joseph’s Health Centre. Together, we are committed to a shared purpose of advancing the health of our patients and our urban communities.
Case Manager - Gen. Surgery/ Gastroenterology
Job Title:Case Manager - Gen. Surgery/ Gastroenterology
Department:Gen. Surgery/ Gastroenterology
Job Category:Other Patient Care
New Work Type:Full-Time Temporary
Salary Range:$47.23 - $56.39 per hour
Length of Temporary Assignment:6 months
FTE Assignment (Cas=0.000001):1.0
This exciting and challenging opportunity will be of interest to a results-oriented individual who is committed to maintain and enhancing the quality of patient care within a complex health, social and fiscal environment. As a clinical expert with system savvy, you will be a leader in coordinating and facilitating care with a team of health care providers to meet the health care and social needs for acute and chronically ill patients on the SUR/GI/PLA inpatient unit. A key component of the role is utilization management related to daily patient access and flow.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
Communicator: Use effective communication to enrich clients' progress by adjudicating daily plans for care with medical teams, unit team and patients; conducting biweekly interdisciplinary rounds; providing physician orientation to the inpatient unit; providing preoperative counseling to bowel resection clients.
Collaborator: Engage individuals and groups to reach consensus by providing direct or indirect assistance, guidance or supervision along the continuum of care.
Navigator: Triage non-elective admissions; reduce delays in service.
Manager: Establish treatment goals by setting schedules/routines for complex cases; identify/analyze care practices & system processes that contribute to/impede outcomes and make recommendations to management; participate in evaluating and redesigning processes.
Advocate: advocate for patients' needed services for a safe and effective discharge/transition.
Professional: Update job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities, reading professional publications, maintaining personal networks, participating in professional organizations. Incorporate best practice as per Canadian Standards of Practice for Case Management and Canadian Core Competency Profile for Case Management Providers.
- Evidence of certification under the Regulated Health Professions Act (RHPA).
- Master's degree in a clinically related field is preferred, including advanced clinical assessment and data analysis and/or an equivalent combination of experience and education.
- Advanced clinical assessment beyond normal professional scope, in accordance with the needs of the program and patient population.
- Demonstrated ability in complex analysis, critical thinking and problem solving.
- Proven success in generating ideas for effective case management.
- Excellent communication, facilitation and negotiation skills.
- Demonstrated ability to facilitate effective teamwork among a group of multi-disciplinary professionals.
- Excellent project management and proven ability to plan, organize and coordinate various activities.
- Demonstrated ability to manage competing priorities and balance multiple, disparate tasks.
- Proficiency in the use of computers with proven experience in data manipulation, interpretation and extraction of information.
- Evidence of good attendance.