Working Here at St. Michael's Hospital
You are viewing a vacancy at St. Michael’s Hospital, now a member of a new health network along with Providence Healthcare and St. Joseph’s Health Centre. Together, we are committed to a shared purpose of advancing the health of our patients and our urban communities.
Perioperative Support Assistant - Operating Rooms
Job Title:Perioperative Support Assistant - Operating Rooms
Job Category:Other Patient Care
New Work Type:Casual
FTE Assignment (Cas=0.000001):0.000001
The Perioperative Support Assistant (PSA) provides support and assistance to members of the Perioperative Team and their patients under the direction of the RN/MD. The PSA contributes to the efficient organization and the smooth flow of the surgical experience for the patient, maintains a neat, clean and safe environment while assisting other members of the patient care team in the preparation and maintenance of the Perioperative environment. The PSA completes cleaning/housekeeping duties as required, works within a multidisciplinary team and is respectful of the patient/family.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The PSA in the Operating Room is responsible for the timely and efficient organization of the Operating Rooms, including turnover between patients by:
- Supporting and assisting with organization and preparation of supplies and equipment
- Ensuring supplies and equipment are available in a timely manner
- Under the direction of surgeons and nurses, assisting with the positioning of patients pre, intra and postoperatively
- Assisting with patient transfer to and from the patient bed/stretcher, and to and from the units
- Assisting with patient skin preparation according to established procedures
- Acting as liaison with MDRD team
- Maintaining specialty carts and equipment, keeping support areas/carts clean, stocked and organized
- Assisting with application of specialized dressings
- Supporting and assisting with organization of emergency supplies and equipment as requested
- Ensuring patient transfer positioning equipment is available and functioning i.e. beds, oxygen equipment, headrests
- Opening sterile packaging as required, under direct supervision of a RN
- Transporting specimens and retrieving any stat materials as requested i.e. blood products
- Transporting used/soiled instrument case carts, pretreated instruments under direct supervision of the RN
- Following established procedures for monitoring function of blood refrigerators, and eye wash stations within perioperative environment (and completing associated required documentation)
- Completing environmental preparation activities, cleaning and housekeeping
- Performing other duties as requested
As part of the daily duties and responsibilities the PSA can be assigned to PACU. The PSA in PACU is responsible for timely and efficient organization of the PACU, including turnover between patients by:
- Transferring post-operative patients from PACU to post-operative care units following discharge from unit and assisting with the transfer of the patient to the unit bed
- Assisting professional staff with critical care transfers and high activity patient transfer to floors
- Must be aware when transport and movement of patients is necessary and imminent
- Assisting, supporting and/or enabling the RN/professional staff to give critical care
- Managing the turnover of patient care area between cases. Completing support activities i.e. emptying and disposing of used medical equipment
- Responsible for disposal of used products from the unit i.e. laundry and garbage. Cleaning transportation equipment and identifying general needs for maintenance and repair
- Ensuring equipment (PCA pumps, transport oxygen, transport monitors, etc) are available and functioning and ready for patient use and transport
- Assisting in the post-operative positioning of patients under supervision of the RN.
- Organizing equipment, supplies and environment according to an identified plan.
- Transporting or receiving all stat requests as requested and assisting in ensuring appropriate furniture and equipment is available. Transporting beds, stretchers, equipment throughout Perioperative Services area. Transporting used equipment/instruments/case carts to soiled utility area and preparing for MDRD staff.
- Following established procedures for monitoring functioning of blood refrigerators and eye was stations within perioperative environment (and completing associated required documentation)
- Completing any environmental preparation activities as requested, completing cleaning and housekeeping duties as required and assisting with other duties as required
- May also work in the OR area as required
- Performing other duties as requested
- Successful completion of a Health Care Aide (HCA) or Personal Support Worker (PSW) diploma / certificate from a recognized program approved by the Ontario Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities that is no less than 625 hours in length
- Certification in BLS required as per hospital policy.
- Minimum 6 months current operating room experience (familiar with sterile techniques and opening sterile packages, patient positioning for OR procedures, setting up the OR environment in preparation for specific surgeries) required.
- Demonstrated ability to meet the physical demands of the role, including pushing and lifting up to 50lbs.
- Knowledge of cleaning products and their uses including a basic knowledge of WHIMS and MSDS.
- Must understand the concepts of and function within a sterile environment.
- Have the knowledge and ability to practice aseptic technique
- Must be flexible and able to work all shifts.
- Demonstrated excellent communication skills (able to read, write and speak fluent English).
- Demonstrated ability to function as an effective team member.
- Able to work independently within the scope of the role
- Able to recognize and prioritize workload.
- Excellent attendance record.
Must be available to work all shifts; days (0730-1530), lates (1100-1900), evenings (1530-2330), nights (2330-0730), weekends and statutory holidays as well as regular and all lengths of shifts, as required.