Job Title:Simulation Educator
New Work Type:Full-Time Permanent
Salary Range:$36.27 - $42.66 per hour
FTE Assignment (Cas=0.000001):1.0
The Allan Waters Family Simulation Centre (AWFSC) is a state of the art facility and an interprofessional centre of excellence that strives to improve patient safety and quality of care through education, research, evaluation and innovation.
The Centre, which is accredited by the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada, is where students, health disciplines professionals, researchers, administrators and physicians come together to utilize simulation tools to enhance their technical and non-technical skills in a safe and realistic learning environment.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Demonstrates understanding of St. Michael’s mission and values, AWFSC mission statement and strategic objectives, requirements by the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada, current simulation education research, clinical and technical expertise, educational theories and models, and curriculum development and evaluation to provide quality education support to faculty and staff.
- Actively leads the advancement and growth of interprofessional simulation based education, leading to optimization of patient safety and quality of care.
- Facilitates simulation education by collaborating with faculty/educators to identify opportunities for creating new or improving existing curriculum by examining: design, implementation, and evaluation of simulation based education curriculum to ensure educational objectives are met.
- Uses knowledge of hospital policy, clinical practice areas, and partnerships to identify opportunities for innovative integration of simulation education into clinical education and research for all disciplines, based on perceived or determined needs.
- Supports the development and growth of an In-Situ Simulation program
- Demonstrates sound understanding & integration of instructional design, adult education best practices and principles by developing and facilitating simulation education courses for faculty and staff development. Will additionally, support Faculty to design clinical scenarios for implementation, aligning the needs of the learners, session objectives, and abilities of the program.
- Organizes and helps facilitate bi-monthly journal club meetings for stakeholders and staff of the simulation program.
- Develops education plans containing goals, objectives, and resources to address the specific learning needs of the simulation program/staff as well as orientation needs for newly hired team members, elective students and others.
- Provides timely and constructive feedback to the team members and other educators and faculty.
- Identifies opportunities for simulation education for staff/faculty development and systems and process advancement. These opportunities are identified through needs assessments, safety and quality reports, and in collaboration with the Simulation Centre leadership and Steering Committee Members.
- In accordance with AWFSC guidelines, the Educator will observe & provide feedback on the briefing/debriefing, session and evaluation results, at a minimum of one session for each instructor/faculty annually and will develop any required training plans to support quality simulation education.
- Promotes a positive, safe learning environment for all stakeholders.
- Establish and maintain professional relationships with all the internal and external stakeholders.
- Attends and represents Simulation Program in appropriate meetings/committees of hospital as required.
- Participate in special projects or initiatives as needed.
- Bachelor's Degree, Master's in Education or a related field preferred
- Regulated Healthcare Professional required
- Minimum 2 years of simulation experience preferred
- 3-5 years of clinical practice required (current practice preferred)
- Simulation Instructor training (or simulation education equivalence) preferred
- Adult Education and facilitation skills
- BLS/ACLS certification preferred
- Ability to function independently and collaboratively within a team
- Demonstrate strong leadership qualities, effective communication, interpersonal, problem solving and organization skills
- Sound technical skills required (previous experience with simulation equipment is an asset)
- Familiarity with MAC and Windows based software is essential