Working Here at St. Michael's Hospital
You are viewing a vacancy at St. Michael’s Hospital, now a member of a new health network along with Providence Healthcare and St. Joseph’s Health Centre. Together, we are committed to a shared purpose of advancing the health of our patients and our urban communities.
Patient Experience Advisor
Job Title:Patient Experience Advisor
New Work Type:Full-Time Permanent
Salary Range:$39.55 - $47.23 per hour
FTE Assignment (Cas=0.000001):1.0
The Patient Experience Advisor provides support to programs and departments to ensure that the patient and family experience is aligned with St Michael's strategic direction to create an exceptional patient experience.
The Patient Experience Advisor is responsible for building the internal capacity through strong engagement with staff, physicians and volunteers to improve the patient and family experience and ensure a positive patient experience and best outcomes.
The mandate of this role is achieved through the development, implementation and planning of key patient experience activities including the collection of patient experience data, resolution of concerns, education, staff engagement, policy development, compliance with Accreditation standards, applying a patient/family view to patient information and monitoring performance related to the patient experience, patient safety and Accreditation.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Leads initiatives that transform the culture of St. Michael's to one of patient-centered care, emphasizing service of excellence and quality
- Partners with clinical, administrative and operations leadership to observe and recommend improvements in operations that impact patient experience as well as the overall engagement of staff and providers
- Collaborates with the healthcare team to ensure the best possible patient and family experiences
- Leads the development and implementation of strategic programs and services that aim to improve the patient and family experience by educating staff, physicians, volunteers and others about optimal methods of customer service
- Acts as a resource for new initiatives aimed at enhancing the overall patient and family experience
- Works with clinical teams, patients and families to facilitate resolution of concerns arising from care and interaction with staff, physicians, volunteers and students
- Provides guidance and advice to clinical teams and other departments to resolve concerns and to ultimately improve patient/family satisfaction
- Identifies issues that may escalate beyond the capacity of the immediate care team to resolve the concerns of a patient or family member
- Mediates and negotiates mutually satisfactory resolutions to issues and concerns between patients/families, staff and the hospital
- Acts as a resource on patient and family-centered care, and patient/family rights and responsibilities for staff and physicians
- Inspires a culture of continuous development and learning from patient experience information and data collection
- Leads/and or participates on internal projects and committees to develop and implement strategies to optimize patient- family centered care delivery
- Participates in the development and implementation of patient safety improvement processes
- Liaises with the Risk, Quality and Performance teams to ensure and safety and organizations policies and procedures are in place and in compliance with Accreditation standards to improve patient care and experience
- Participates in local networking and actively shares relevant industry and leading edge information with the internal team
- Uses data management skills to generate reports based on results from patient, family and community feedback and takes corrective action where necessary
- Provides input into policy development and ongoing consultation and education
- Responds effectively to Ministry of Health and Professional Organizations when required
- Baccalaureate or Master’s degree (preferred)
- Minimum 5 years health care experience working directly with patients and families
- Excellent knowledge of the healthcare environment including medical terminology and clinical processes
- Excellent mediation, conflict resolution and negotiation skills with the ability and confidence to collaborate with all levels of medical and management staff
- Knowledge of current legislation governing health care as it relates to the privacy and protection of privileged information
- Advanced computer skills with knowledge of word processing, spreadsheet, graphics software, Word, Excel and, PowerPoint and Internet. Must be able to troubleshoot basic software issues.
- Strong database management skills and ability to perform data analysis
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Strong organizational skills with demonstrated attention to detail to meet the demanding challenges in a timely fashion
- Demonstrated commitment to and understanding of the Mission and Values of St. Michael’s Hospital
- Demonstrated success in establishing, leading and maintaining positive change
- Demonstrated leadership qualities