Working Here at St. Michael's Hospital
You are viewing a vacancy at St. Michael’s Hospital, now a member of a new health network along with Providence Healthcare and St. Joseph’s Health Centre. Together, we are committed to a shared purpose of advancing the health of our patients and our urban communities.
Decision Support Specialist - Case Costing
Job Title:Decision Support Specialist - Case Costing
New Work Type:Full-Time Permanent
Salary Range:$31.62 - $37.75 per hour
FTE Assignment (Cas=0.000001):1.0
Decision Support Services (DSS) works collaboratively with clinicians and administrators in order to advance innovative and proactive analysis of clinical and financial data for evidence-based (or evidence informed) decision making. The DSS team accumulates aggregates and analyses patient utilization data and converts it into meaningful information to enable quality improvement, performance monitoring, program evaluations and research studies. DSS is responsible for internal reporting, costing, funding analysis as well as external inquiries and reporting.
Health System Funding Reform has created an urgency to better understand hospital costs and to provide better information to decision makers. The primary role of the Decision Support Specialist - Costing is to collaboratively improve hospital case costing (for internal and external use) and to provide expertise and support on quarterly St. Michael’s and the annual Ontario Case Costing Submission to the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care. Costing improvements will come via enhancements of feeder (source) department (such as: operating room, health records, registration, finance, human resources, etc) data, internal DSS systems and processes, and collaboration with stakeholders.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Promotes data quality and works with system data stewards to promote DQ and reliability.
- Works with the Case Costing Consultant (lead) to execute prioritized improvements and/or changes.
- Works with the Case Costing Consultant to prepare and submit annual case costing extracts to the OCC.
- Demonstrates financial and statistical analytical capabilities, data management and database management skills.
- Works with the Decision Support and Costing team to improve information flow to DSS systems to improve the quality and timeliness of data.
- Collaboratively updates the costing process for monitoring the costing system (such as data loading) and improving/optimizing said processes - with a corporate EDW in the plans, the costing system's input s and outputs will/may change.
- Executes and collaboratively improves costing cycles (quarterly). This includes, on an ongoing basis all monthly and annual data inputs from all feeder departments (operating room, pharmacy, medical imaging, finance, health records, etc) and run processes to update costs, utilization and diagnosis and procedure information to allow case costing and decision support reporting to be current. This will include but not be exclusively related to corrections of errors, building new products, adding cost centers and programs and change reporting structures according to internal hospital operational changes.
- Aids in the annual year end and opening procedures of the case costing system.
- Reconciles and troubleshoots data integrity between the case costing system and feeder systems/departments.
- Works with the costing system vendor to ensure validity and maintenance of accessible backups of the system.
- Maintains and collaboratively improves processes to add/delete and maintain data structures and definitions.
- Adds new information/data fields as required and ensures compatibility with fields already within the data warehouse.
- Facilitates remove access processes for departmental staff as required.
- Participates in the Decision Support ad hoc request pool.
- Undergraduate Degree in Business Administration, Information Technology, or Health Administration is strongly preferred
- 2-3 years of case costing experience
- 2-3 years of analytical experience, preferably with hospital data
- Good understanding of Ontario’s Case Costing initiative and in-depth knowledge of source feeder systems data (ie. CIHI products, Medical Imaging, Pharmacy, Peri-Operative, etc)
- Knowledge of Health Records datasets and knowledge of OHRS/MIS guidelines
- Deep knowledge of OCC Case Costing Guidelines and annual OCC submission experience
- Ability to create strong relationships and collaborate effectively
- Ability to verbally communicate complex information in business and clinical situations
- Strong demonstrated analytical and presentation skills
- Strong demonstrated written skills
- Project management skills