Working Here at St. Michael's Hospital
You are viewing a vacancy at St. Michael’s Hospital, now a member of a new health network along with Providence Healthcare and St. Joseph’s Health Centre. Together, we are committed to a shared purpose of advancing the health of our patients and our urban communities.
Information Specialist (Health Sciences Library)
Job Title:Information Specialist (Health Sciences Library)
Department:Health Sciences Library
New Work Type:Full-Time Permanent
Salary Range:$34.87 - $41.64 per hour
FTE Assignment (Cas=0.000001):1
St. Michael’s Hospital seeks a creative, knowledgeable, collaborative and user-oriented Information Specialist to join their team. Reporting to the Manager of Health Information and Knowledge Mobilization, this Information Specialist will focus on developing innovative service initiatives including, but not limited to the areas of promotion, instruction, and clinical outreach. In collaboration with the entire team, they will be responsible for exploring and testing new approaches to supporting client groups and will develop services and resources that support the Health Sciences Library's mandate. In addition to this specific focus, the Information Specialist will be part of a team responsible for delivering information services and supporting evidence-based practice in patient care, research, and health professionals’ education and will be engaged with literature searching, general reference, education and collection development.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Undertake special projects in the areas of promotion, instruction and outreach
- Explore, create, and test new and innovative technology and service delivery models
- Conduct needs assessments and/or information audits of staff groups to inform service delivery models and collection development
- Respond to reference inquiries from clients, and staff the reference desk on a rotating scheduled basis
- Develop and deliver group and one-on-one instruction on research skills, literature searches, critical appraisal, bibliographic management, scholarly publishing, etc.
- Participate in department committees and projects to plan and deliver library and information services
- Master’s degree from a Library and Information Studies program accredited by the American Library Association
- Proven library experience, preferably in a health sciences library environment
- Demonstrated ability in project management
- Demonstrated capacity for creative approaches to promotion and service initiatives
- Demonstrated ability to operate as an effective member of a team
- Demonstrated ability to build relationships through excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to manage competing priorities and balance multiple, disparate tasks
- Experience developing and providing customized training in database search skills for end users
- Experience with evidence-based information retrieval and in-depth literature searching
- Experience developing web pages, and using content management systems, such as LibGuides, to curate relevant information for client groups
- Experience evaluating, assessing and measuring effectiveness of a new program, service, or pilot project
- Proficient in the use of common computer software applications and library technologies, and proven experience with technological resources including the Internet, library discovery systems, LibGuides, etc.
- Proven success in marketing services and collections to library clients
- Experience using social media for outreach
Please attach your Cover Letter and resume as pdf files. Thank you.