Working Here at St. Michael's Hospital
You are viewing a vacancy at St. Michael’s Hospital, now a member of a new health network along with Providence Healthcare and St. Joseph’s Health Centre. Together, we are committed to a shared purpose of advancing the health of our patients and our urban communities.
Medical Device Reprocessing Technician - Medical Device Reprocessing
Job Title:Medical Device Reprocessing Technician - Medical Device Reprocessing
Department:Medical Device Reprocessing
Job Category:Medical Device Reprocessing
New Work Type:Full-Time Temporary < 6 Months
Salary Range:$23.70 - $26.27 per hour
Length of Temporary Assignment:6 months
FTE Assignment (Cas=0.000001):1.0
You will contribute to the strength of our Medical Device Reprocessing Department (MDRD) through your commitment to teamwork based on collaborative quality improvement and skill-set enhancement. Join St. Michael’s and be part of a dynamic team focused on what really matters: our patients.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Responsible for the organization and processing of all surgical instrumentation, equipment, medical devices and other sterile supplies.
- Work with all St. Michael’s customers in a professional, customer-focused and timely manner.
- Will ensure decontamination, cleaning, preparation and assembly of instrumentation and supplies with strict adherence to CSA, PIDAC and department standards, policies and procedures that will ensure safe patient care.
- Is able to utilize various methods to sterilize supplies and equipment (e.g. Steam, high level disinfection process, low temperature sterilization, and Pasteurization).
- Recognize and participate in the processing and distribution of rush, stat, and walk in requests for sterile supplies.
- Stores and replenishes medical and surgical supplies
- Prepares and distributes case-carts and medical supplies as required including travel-carts and totes.
- Performs cross-functional duties throughout the department as assigned.
- Performs other duties consistent with the job classification as assigned.
- Maintains department records, logs, reports, and files as required by CSA Standards and departmental policy.
- Report discrepancies in process to the Team Leaders and/or Manager for continuous quality improvement.
- Performs high level disinfection and/or sterilization of complex scopes.
- Graduate of a recognized Sterile Supply Processing certificate program from an accredited academic institution or graduate of MDRAO certificate course with a minimum requirement of 1 year recent Medical Device Reprocessing work experience.
- Must be able to demonstrate knowledge of decontamination, preparation and sterilization of instruments according to current published competency of CSA and PIDAC Standards.
- Knowledge of cleaning products and their use including basic knowledge of WHMIS.
- Demonstrate excellent communication skills/command of English, both oral and written.
- Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Computer experience and knowledge is preferred.
- Ability to work efficiently as departmental and unit team member.
- Must be physically able to perform all duties of the position (lifting, bending, and twisting).
- Must be able to work independently and prioritize workload within a dynamic, fast paced work environment.
- Must have an excellent attendance record.
- Knowledge of high level disinfection of complex scopes an asset.
The successful incumbent will be scheduled to work full-time nights (2300-0700 rotating weekends and stat holidays), however it may be necessary to re-assign staff to a different shift based on operational needs.