Working Here at St. Michael's Hospital
You are viewing a vacancy at St. Michael’s Hospital, now a member of a new health network along with Providence Healthcare and St. Joseph’s Health Centre. Together, we are committed to a shared purpose of advancing the health of our patients and our urban communities.
Admin Assistant Surgeon in Chief - Department of Surgery
Job Title:Admin Assistant Surgeon in Chief - Department of Surgery
Job Category:Administrative/Clerical Support
New Work Type:Full-Time Permanent
Union Affiliation:Non Union
Salary Range:$28.98 - $34.60 per hour
FTE Assignment (Cas=0.000001):full time
The Administrative Assistant, provides high level administrative support to the Chief of Surgery. This member will provide the highest level of complex administrative support to the Chief of the Department of Surgery and Division Leaders located at St Michael’s Hospital. This position will be responsible for reviewing/integrating timely communications, coordinating projects, preparing administrative documents, reviewing and monitoring complex schedules.
Responsibilities include the organization of complex schedules through prioritization and open communication with clinical and administrative personnel. Strong time management skills are required to track progress of projects and ensure timely and efficient completion of tasks.
The ideal candidate must be able to adapt and flex their support based on the needs of the department chief, the division, and individual faculty members. A high degree of professionalism, organization, discretion, initiative, collaboration and ability to follow instructions with using good judgment is expected. This position requires the handling of sensitive and confidential reports, as well as identifying solutions and resolving administrative problems.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provides organizational and administrative support to the Chief of Surgery, Department of Surgery, St Michael’s Hospital.
- Maintains liaison with the University of Toronto
- Ensures efficient day-to-day support to Surgeon-in-Chief by providing high quality administrative support while ensuring up-to-date office support systems are in place and workflow, schedules and correspondence are managed effectively.
- Provides a variety of confidential and time sensitive advanced administrative duties, often within competing time frames.
- General office duties include, sorting mail, phone and email correspondence, Maintains computer and paper filing systems, arranging couriers, photocopying, ordering supplies, equipment maintenance, preparing and typing documents, and presentations, bill payments and requisition procedures, petty cash and monitoring office activities.
- Management of financial accountabilities relevant to the Surgeon-in-Chief’s responsibility
- Facilitation of recruitment of faculty processes
- Drafts types, edits documents, letters, memos, reports, agreements, minutes/agendas, presentations, policies, procedures and forms. Prepares, organizes and complies reports.
- Coordinates a variety of internal and external meetings i.e. sets meeting schedules, books rooms and catering through the hospital’s systems, records and distributes minutes, agendas and materials as required.
- Utilizes judgment to assess complexity and risk of issues
- Must be able to multi task, prioritize and manage own workflow to ensure quality and efficiency.
- Provides interim coverage and support to other assistants as required.
- Research, summarize and analyze information by performing simple analysis
- Assist faculty with reporting documents and electronic submission
- Plan and arrange conferences or meetings under specific instructions; communicate arrangements to appropriate individuals.
- Maintain complex calendar(s) and email accounts, regularly prioritizing and arranging meetings, conferences and appointments; assuring accuracy on separate calendar programs.
- Assist faculty with reporting documents and electronic submission.
- May assist/coordinate faculty recruitment through the development of itineraries, all aspects related to the coordination of travel, scheduling of interviews and onboarding processes.
- Liaison with the various internal, external, and international academic institutes and or societies.
- Bachelor’s degree or college diploma required.
- Minimum three years’ experience providing high level support required.
- Recent Healthcare/hospital experience required.
- Highly proficient in Microsoft Word, Power Point, Excel, Outlook, Or scheduling, Soarian.
- Knowledge of administrative principles and practices
- Must have knowledge of accounting and budgeting procedures and techniques
- Knowledge of supervisory practices and principles.
- Skill in planning, analyzing and coordinating activities and establishing priorities
- Ability to effectively communicate.
- Demonstrated ability to take complex minutes required combined with a sound knowledge of medical terminology
- Self-directed, detail oriented, dependable and resourceful.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent organization and time management skills with an ability to effectively manage a complexity of tasks simultaneously
- Ability to deal effectively with multiple priorities and possess tact and diplomacy in dealing with inquiries and requests for information.
- Demonstrates initiative, high degree of accuracy
- Ability to anticipate and analyze situations and problems and recognizes alternatives.
- Highly developed business etiquette
- Polished, professional interpersonal skills with an ability to work effectively in a team environment and with a variety of internal and external stakeholders.