JOB POSTING # 687435 * If you have already applied to this job, please do not re-apply *
Position: Advanced Practice Nurse Educator
Site: Princess Margaret Hospital
Department: Cancer Clinical Research Unit
Reports to: Director of Nursing, PMH
Hours: 37.5 hours per week, 7.5 hour shifts
Status: Permanent Full-Time
"We are a caring, creative and accountable academic Hospital, transforming Healthcare for Our Patients, Our Community and the World"
University Health Network (UHN) represents the coming together of shared values and diverse expertise in patient care, research and teaching. Each of our facilities (Toronto General Hospital, Princess Margaret Hospital and Toronto Western Hospital) makes a unique contribution to the whole. Together, we create something far greater than the sum of our parts.
The Advanced Practice Nurse Educator demonstrates a set of core competencies integral to developing and maintaining the academic practice environment at UHN. The competencies focus on education and staff development, collaboration, scholarly/research activity, and leadership/change management. The APN - Educator uses best practice in education to assess learning needs, develop, design, deliver and evaluate educational programs. The APN - Educator collaborates with others to promote enhanced development and delivery of quality nursing education internally and externally. The APN - Educator contributes to the scholarship of teaching, discovery, application and integration of knowledge through research and scholarly work. The APN-Educator leads in the creation of a preferred future for nursing education and professional practice.
This APN-E position will be aligned to the clinical research nursing group and will focus on the assessment, development, design, implementation and evaluation of nursing practice standards/processes in collaboration with the Nurse Manager - Clinical Trials. Areas of initial focus will be mentorship and orientation, informed consent, documentation and clinical trials patient assessment. This work will be supporting the development of “best practice” standards established by the Cancer Clinical Research Unit. The APN-E will be reporting to both the Director of the Cancer Clinical Research Unit and to the Director of Nursing, Princess Margaret Hospital.
• Completion of a graduate degree program in Nursing or Education or recognized equivalent required
• Three (3) years practical and related experience and/or three (3) months on-the-job training required
• Theoretical and practical experience in adult education including educational program planning, development, and evaluation required
• Completion of specialty-specific certification program(s) relevant to respective clinical areas required
• Current certificate of licensure/registration with the College of Nurses of Ontario
• Completion of a Basic Cardiac Life Support (B.C.L.S.) program, Level II: Basic Rescuer certification required
• Membership in the Registered Nurses Association of Ontario (RNAO) required
• Current membership in related professional interest group or association preferred
• Three (3) years of experience in oncology nursing
• Excellent leadership, prioritization, presentation, program planning and teaching experience
• Excellent professional nursing knowledge and skills
• Ability to be adaptable, build trust, provide coaching and collaboration, facilitate change and continuous improvement
• Demonstrate ability to motivate staff and create an environment conducive to learning and team building
• Ability to contribute to team building success by: developing others, fostering group dynamics & processes, monitoring information, being innovative, managing conflict, planning safety awareness and managing stress
• Excellent organizational and time management skills
• Excellent decision-making and problem solving-skills
• Sound knowledge base in areas of specialty and the education process
• Ability to work effectively as a member of a multi-disciplinary team
• Ability to utilize information technology
• Completion of a Masters degree preferred
RE-POSTED DATE: June 10, 2013 CLOSING DATE: until filled
For current UHN employees, only those who have successfully completed their probationary period, have a good employee record along with satisfactory attendance in accordance with UHN's attendance management program, and possess all the required experience and qualifications should apply.
University Health Network thanks all applicants, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
University Health Network has a diverse workforce and is an equal opportunity employer.
Improving the patient's experience through patient centered care! For additional information on patient centered care please go to: www.nrcpicker.com