Who We Are
At Vale, we believe in innovation as a foundation for our development, to create the mining of the future and achieve our vision of being the biggest and best mining company of the world.
Operating in Canada for over 100 years, we are a leading producer of iron-ore, copper, cobalt and precious metals and the world’s second largest nickel mining company. We aim to grow profitably but only as a safe, high-quality and sustainable mining company.
Are you interested in joining our team of over 7,000 professionals in Canada?
We employ a wide range of occupations from engineers, underground miners and supervisors in Thompson, Sudbury, Long Harbour and Voisey’s Bay.
Vale’s Newfoundland and Labrador Operations include a mine and concentrator in Voisey’s Bay, Labrador and a new hydrometallurgical nickel processing plant in Long Harbour, Newfoundland. Once completed, the Long Harbour facility will process nickel concentrate produced at Voisey’s Bay. First nickel production is scheduled for 2014.
At Long Harbour Operations, we are building a team of women and men to operate, maintain & improve our nickel processing plant, along with the processes and systems used to run it — a team that places safety and efficiency at the forefront of all our business decisions. We are currently seeking:
Processing Plant Technicians
The Processing Plant Technician position at Long Harbour is unique in the Canadian metals processing industry. Our Technicians are multi-functional, participating in a wide range of activities within the operations environment. They come from a range of educational and employment backgrounds – this diversity is essential to the success of our team.
In addition to the core work of efficiently and safely operating the plant to produce a quality nickel, product, our Technicians take a direct role in maintaining and improving the equipment and processes they use every day. In this way, Technicians are also business partners, involved in the decisions and actions that keep our business sustainable and competitive: maximizing plant reliability; reinforcing adherence to health, safety and environmental protection standards; carrying out administrative functions; and minimizing costs.
The Long Harbour Operations’ innovative organizational design sees Technicians executing these responsibilities through consensus-based decision-making, evaluating each approach and outcome based on the needs of the business, the team, and the individual. The company provides structure for, and expectations around, these decisions by establishing clear boundaries and ensuring defined procedures, regulations and policies are in place. The resulting workplace culture fosters teamwork and empowerment that makes Long Harbour Operations a great place to work and will create a competitive advantage in the marketplace.
Our work environment is constantly evolving and there is an expectation that employees will continuously strengthen their knowledge, skills and abilities, while motivating and supporting each other to develop as a high performance team.
Long Harbour Operations will be a 24/7 operation. The shift requirement for this role will be a rotating 12-hour shift.
- Actively contribute to the safe production of world class nickel.
- Perform tasks within the following areas: operations, maintenance, utilities, laboratory, warehouse and administration.
- Assist in developing, maintaining and improving plant operations and its standard policies and procedures.
- Adhere to documented procedures, applicable regulations and policies with respect to safety, health and environment.
- Schedule and coordinate operation, maintenance and other key activities throughout the workplace.
- Flow to the work when required to assure safe, efficient and continuous operation.
- Be part of a team focused on continual improvement of the business and the team; embrace the challenge to continuously develop themselves and colleagues by exchanging knowledge and insight.
Knowledge and Skills
Applicants must be able to demonstrate the following abilities to be considered for the Technician position:
- Able to solve problems and provide solutions based on investigation and analysis.
- Must be able to work in a continuously-evolving work environment.
- Capable of prioritizing and planning work activities to meet the business requirements.
- Possess mechanical and/or technical aptitude, with the desire to continuously build and share knowledge and skills.
- Basic computer skills.
- Able to work independently and as an active team leader and team member.
- Applicants from all education backgrounds are welcome, provided they meet the minimum requirement of a High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Post-Secondary Education (Degree, Technologist, Technician, or Trades) will be considered assets
- Employment in a team-based/collaborative work environment is an asset
- Experience in any one of the following areas would also be an asset:
b. Lean Manufacturing
c. Safety, Health and Environment
For more information please visit our website at valejobs.ca.
Vale is an equal opportunity employer.