Who We Are
At Vale, we believe in innovation as a foundation for our development, to create the mining of the future and achieve our vision of being the biggest and best mining company of the world.
Operating in Canada for over 100 years, we are a leading producer of iron-ore, copper, cobalt and precious metals and the world’s second largest nickel mining company. We aim to grow profitably but only as a safe, high-quality and sustainable mining company.
Are you interested in joining our team of over 7,000 professionals in Canada?
We employ a wide range of occupations from engineers, underground miners and supervisors in Thompson, Sudbury and Voisey’s Bay, to our R&D team from our world class Technology Centre in Mississauga.
Vale’s Newfoundland and Labrador Operations began with the start-up of a mine and concentrator at Voisey’s Bay, Labrador in 2005 and the operation of a Hydromet research and development facility in Argentia, Newfoundland. Approximately $4 billion is being invested to build new, state-of-the-art processing facilities in Long Harbour. The Long Harbour plant is Vale’s first processing facility in Canada located on tidewater. It will process nickel concentrate produced at the Voisey’s Bay mine in Labrador. At peak construction almost 6,000 people have supported the construction effort at Long Harbour. Some 500 permanent jobs will be created upon completion. The project is 85% complete and full completion is expected for 2014.
Our Long Harbour Operations are currently seeking:
Processing Plant Technicians
Join a multi-disciplined team that has the collective goal of safely producing world-class nickel within a state-of-the-art hydrometallurgical facility. The responsibility of the multi-functional Processing Plant Technician position is to efficiently and effectively operate, maintain and improve the plant equipment, processes and administrative functions, in a way that safely produces quality products, minimizes cost and protects the environment, while maximizing plant reliability. Tasks will be performed while adapting to a constantly changing work environment.
There is an expectation that employees will continuously strengthen their knowledge, skills and abilities while motivating and supporting each other to develop as a high performance team.
The Long Harbour Operations’ innovative organizational design engages employees and empowers them to become business partners. Employees will exercise consensus based decision-making for the business, team and individual needs, utilizing defined procedures, regulations and policies. Our workplace culture fosters teamwork and empowerment that will make Long Harbour Operations a great place to work and will create a competitive advantage in the marketplace.
Long Harbour Operations will be a 24/7 operation. The shift requirement for this role will be a rotating 12-hour shift.
- Actively contribute to the safe production of world class nickel.
- Perform tasks within the following areas; operations, maintenance, utilities, site services, laboratory, warehouse and administration.
- Assist in developing, maintaining and improving plant operations and its standard policies and procedures.
- Adhere to documented procedures, applicable regulations and policies with respect to safety, health and environment.
- Schedule and coordinate operation, maintenance and other key activities throughout the workplace.
- Flow to the work when required to assure safe, efficient and continuous operation.
- Be part of a team focused on continuous improvement of the business and the team; embrace the challenge to continuously develop themselves and colleagues by exchanging knowledge and insight.
- Based on business requirements the following certifications are considered an asset:
· Interprovincial Red Seal Certificate of Qualification; Industrial Mechanic, Industrial Electrician, Instrumentation, Power Engineer, Steamfitter/Pipefitter, Water Treatment Operator and Welder.
· Process Operator Certification
· Technician/Technologist diploma
- Minimum of a High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Industrial/Manufacturing/Laboratory experience is an asset.
- Lean Manufacturing skills are an asset.
Knowledge and Skills
- Able to solve problems and provide solutions based on investigation and analysis.
- Must be able to work in an ever changing work environment.
- Capable of prioritizing and planning work activities to meet the business requirements.
- Possess mechanical and/or technical aptitude, with the desire to continuously build and share knowledge and skills.
- Basic computer skills.
- Able to work independently and as an active team leader and team member.
For more information please visit our website at valejobs.ca.
Vale is an equal opportunity employer.