Who We Are
At Vale, we believe in innovation as a foundation for our development, to create the mining of the future and achieve our vision of being the biggest and best mining company of the world.
Operating in Canada for over 100 years, we are a leading producer of iron-ore, copper, cobalt and precious metals and the world’s second largest nickel mining company. We aim to grow profitably but only as a safe, high-quality and sustainable mining company.
Are you interested in joining our team of over 7,000 professionals in Canada?
We employ a wide range of occupations from engineers, underground miners and supervisors in Thompson, Sudbury and Voisey’s Bay, to our R&D team from our world class Technology Centre in Mississauga.
Vale’s Newfoundland and Labrador Operations began with the start-up of a mine and concentrator at Voisey’s Bay, Labrador in 2005 and the operation of a Hydromet research and development facility in Argentia, Newfoundland. Approximately $4 billion is being invested to build new, state-of-the-art processing facilities in Long Harbour. The Long Harbour plant is Vale’s first processing facility in Canada located on tidewater. It will process nickel concentrate produced at the Voisey’s Bay mine in Labrador. At peak construction almost 6,000 people have supported the construction effort at Long Harbour. Some 500 permanent jobs will be created upon completion. The project is 85% complete and full completion is expected for 2014.
Our Vale Newfoundland and Labrador Operation is currently seeking a:
This position will be a critical part of the initial design and implementation of a maintenance engineering and reliability system. This system will conform to Vale standards and world class best practices as part of an integrated maintenance and reliability team.
This position is responsible for mechanical maintenance engineering and condition monitoring issues within the facility with a focus on reliability issues associated with the design, installation, or maintenance programs for equipment. The primary goal is to continuously improve equipment performance and reliability through the adoption of world class engineering principles, proven reliability tools, and continuous improvement of maintenance strategies on equipment. This position is part of the Reliability and Maintenance team and will closely interface with Technical Services and Operations to ensure that plant efficiency is optimized without impact to safety, the environment, or the community.
This is a full-time permanent position located in Long Harbour.
- Utilize Safe Production tools and exhibit behaviors of Safe Production and consider how to consistently achieve ALARA during design activities. Achieve compliance with monthly safety plan (quantity and quality) and follow notification protocols for incident and injuries.
- Develop and manage a Risk Based Inspection (RBI) program for fixed assets including tanks, and structures and the development of all procedures, tools, and resources used.
- Develop and implement condition monitoring programs with a focus on fixed equipment using state of the art condition monitoring tools and processes that will maximize production profit by minimizing equipment downtime through predictive maintenance as well as improve design and installation criteria, and minimize overall cost by reduction of failures and reducing maintenance manpower requirements
- Assist in development and implementation of world class reliability programs using state of the art tools and processes such as RCM and FMECA that will maximize production profit by minimizing equipment downtime through improved maintenance procedures such as preventative and predictive maintenance as well as improved design and installation criteria, minimize overall cost by reduction of failures and reducing maintenance manpower requirements.
- Perform regular audits of reliability programs to ensure that quality is maintained, ensuring that all programs are designed to safely operate without impact to employees, the business, the environment, and the community, and utilize this information to continuously improve the system.
- Develop KPIs to quantify the performance of developed reliability programs and update these KPIs on a continuous basis.
- Act as a technical resource to assist the Reliability and Maintenance group with troubleshooting of equipment problems.
- Perform design and project management functions on non-CAPEX engineering project work and work closely with Maintenance, Technical Services, Operations, and outside resources during the performance of the work to ensure that any changes to equipment or processes are performed to maximize reliability.
- Interface with Maintenance Planning personnel on a regular basis to ensure that equipment data, spares requirements, and procedures and documentation are modified as necessary as a result of additions, deletions or modifications to the plant processes or configuration.
- Ensure that all design work is complete and accurate and compliant with engineering policies and procedures.
- Ensure that all work is completed through established Management of Change policies (Request for Action) and procedures.
- Perform Reliability & Maintenance on-call duties on an assigned basis.
- Interface with Maintenance Planning personnel on a regular basis to ensure that PdPM procedures and documentation are modified as necessary as a result of additions, deletions or modifications to the plant processes or configuration.
- Maintain all condition monitoring documentation and ensure that all changes in documentation are reflected in the CMMS through liaison with Maintenance Planning.
- Bachelor of Engineering; Mechanical or related.
- Eligible for registration with PEG-NL
- 8 - 10 years’ experience in an Engineering and Reliability program within a complex industrial environment.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated problem solving abilities
- Strong analytical skills
For more information please visit our website at Valejobs.ca.
Vale is an equal opportunity employer.