Designated Early Childhood Educator - 2014/2015
(These positions will be effective September 2014 and will be for various locations)
Thank you for your interest in a Designated Early Childhood Educator position for the 2014-2015 school year with the York Region District School Board.
The successful DECE candidate(s) will be responsible for collaborating with the Kindergarten teacher and other staff to implement the Full-Day Early Learning-Kindergarten Program (FDK) under the supervision of the Principal and in compliance with Board policies, procedures and Ministry of Education direction.
Duties will include but are not limited to the following:
- Planning for and providing education to pupils in junior kindergarten and kindergarten.
- Observing, monitoring and assessing the development of pupils in junior kindergarten, kindergarten and extended day programs.
- Maintaining a healthy physical, emotional and social learning environment.
- Communicating with families.
- Performing all duties assigned to them by the principal with respect to junior kindergarten, kindergarten and extended day programs
- Provides supervision of and support to students in daily activities.
- Guides and assists students in the development of self-help skills such as eating, dressing and toileting.
- Attends meetings as required.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- In extended day programs, responsible for a variety of duties including but not limited to:
- Planning and developing appropriate activities which provide continuity with and enhance classroom programming.
- Providing direction to an assistant if present.
- Observing and recording each child’s development.
- Responsible for administrative tasks related to the ELP Extended Day Program including but not limited to: attendance, collection and recording of parent fees, and purchasing of food items for nutritional snacks. (At this time there are no extended day programs.)
- Secondary School Graduation Diploma with a recognized post-secondary diploma/degree (2 years) in Early Childhood Education is required
- Registration with the College of Early Childhood Educators of Ontario is a requirement of this position
- Minimum related experience of one year
- Current First Aid and CPR certification in locations where there is an extended day program offered.
- Effective verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills are required
- A general working knowledge of computers and Board approved/implemented software is required.
- Ability to physically assist children as required (e.g., lifting, feeding and toileting)
While completing the on-line application, you will be asked if you are interested in the following placements.
Permanent Positions: This is a full-time position (32.5 hours per week).
Temporary Positions: This is a position that is available for a period in excess of 30 consecutive working days to replace a permanent employee who is absent on an approved leave of absence (e.g. pregnancy, parental, educational or medical leave).
Casual: On call, as-needed basis to cover absences of permanent employees ranging from daily occurrences up to 30 consecutive working days.
Please Note: On-line applications are collected centrally at The Education Centre - Aurora and are monitored by Human Resource Services. Only candidates who are selected to take part in our selection process will be contacted. All others applicants are thanked for their interest.
Participants with disabilities and/or special needs which require specific adjustments or equipment during the process are encouraged to contact the Recruitment Team prior to any phase of the selection process to discuss any special requirements/accommodations.