Posting #: 2022-904707
Position: Charge Technologist/ Team Lead Anatomical Pathology
Department: Laboratory - Anatomical Pathology
Status: Temporary Full-time 18months in duration or until return of incumbent
Hours: Various rotating 7.5 hour day shifts (hours subject to change based on operational requirements)
Site: Oakville (May be required to work at other Halton Healthcare locations as required)
Halton Healthcare’s vision of Exemplary patient experiences, always, goes beyond just the patient experience; it has shaped our entire culture and remains at the core of every interaction in our organization, from our patients & families to our staff, physicians and volunteers. We believe in exemplary PEOPLE experiences always!
At Halton Healthcare you will thrive in a healthcare culture and environment that embraces inclusion, diversity and belonging with ‘exemplary patient care, always’ at the heart of everything we do.
We empower our people to be the very best they can be so they can make a difference for our patients and the communities we serve.
Halton Healthcare takes great pride in providing quality, compassionate healthcare services to our rapidly growing communities. As a progressive and vibrant healthcare organization, we are committed to being an innovative center of excellence in community hospital care.
What you will be doing:
- Responsible for the day to day operation of the Pathology, Immunohistochemistry and Cytology departments and the direct technical supervision of the staff working in those areas
- Responsible for reports being completed in a timely manner
- Responsible for the reporting of accurate results and maintains established Quality Control programs
- Monitors inventory to ensure adequate stock and supplies
- Orders direct supplies and organizes standing orders,
- Organizes contracts and service agreements in conjunction with the Manager, Anatomical Pathology
- Assist and advise the Laboratory Manager on reagents, consumables and service contracts
- Development, updating and reviewing of technical manuals in the document control system
- Monitors procedures and consults with other sites to ensure consistency across all sites
- Provides investigation, development, recommendation, implementation and training associated with new methods and new technology
- Provides strong technical support, consultation, and interpretation in all aspects of departmental testing.
- Works to ensure technical competency of all staff
- Development of quality indicators and preparation of statistics as they relate to Pathology, Immunohistochemistry and Cytology departments
- Participation in bench work (as required) to ensure maintains competency as well as continual improvement in order to ensure SOPs reflect work being done
- Responsible for quality assurance, quality control and risk management programs
- Assists in the recruitment of new staff and participates in the performance evaluation of staff
- Represents the department and, when appropriate, HHS, on various internal and external committees
- Responsible for compliance to Ontario Laboratory Accreditation requirements and maintenance of the quality management system for Pathology, Immunohistochemistry and Cytology departments
- Maintains current knowledge of professional standards, legislation and requirements and ensures compliance of staff
- Responsible for ensuring timely documentation and follow-up of non-conformities as it pertains to the departments
- In cases requiring formal discipline or a staff member not responding to normal direction the Team Leader will consult with the Laboratory Manager. The Technical Director and/or Laboratory Manager are responsible for all formal discipline.
- Support management in development of operational and corporate budgets and provide statistics and complete analyses related to the department
- Recommends and assists in the planning of educational opportunities and the use of educational resources within the laboratory service across all sites
What you need to do it:
The MLT understands and adheres to all professional, legal and ethical requirements governing the practice of the profession. MLT’s possess in-depth scientific knowledge of the theory, techniques and clinical application of medical laboratory procedures. Participation in the CMLTO Quality Assurance Program and continuing education activities promotes ongoing improvement and enhancement of knowledge over the span of the MLT’s professional career.
- Application of Knowledge and Skills
The MLT combines the competent performance of tests based on the current principles of medical laboratory sciences with the accurate and timely reporting of results to provide reliable information for the diagnosis/monitoring of each patient/client.
- Evaluation and Decision Making
The MLT systematically evaluates and analyzes information to facilitate continuous improvement of the laboratory process in the interest of quality patient care.
- Safe Work Practices
The MLT performs all duties in compliance with all current provincial and federal legislation, safety guidelines and institutional policies and procedures.
- Professional Conduct and Accountability
The MLT is expected to meet the ethical and legal expectations of professional practice and is accountable to the patient/client, herself/himself, the College and the employer.
- Quality Management
The MLT demonstrates an understanding of quality management principles in the delivery of laboratory services supporting optimal patient care.
- Member of the College of Medical Technologists of Ontario
- Minimum 5 years experience in Pathology and/or Immunohistochemistry and/or Cytology departments
- A.R.T. certification is a benefit and /or documented continuing education in specialty
- Excellent interpersonal and supervisory skills.
- Must possess excellent technical and computer skills, and be able to troubleshoot related equipment.
- Strong knowledge of laboratory information systems LIS, and general office software (Word, Excel etc.)
Date Refreshed: November 18, 2022
Note for internals: Initial internal deadline passed, new applicants welcome to apply!
Please apply if you are passionate about what you do, motivated by a job well done, and as committed to excellence, quality and patient satisfaction as we are. Please submit your application via our website at www.haltonhealthcare.com directly to this posting and include a current copy of your resume.
We thank all those who apply but only those individuals selected for further consideration will be contacted.
In accordance with Directive #6, Halton Healthcare has implemented a COVID-19 Vaccination and Management Policy. All new hires must be fully compliant with our Policy as a condition of employment with Halton Healthcare. Successful applicants will be required to provide proof of vaccination or proof of a documented medical exemption as part of the hiring process.
In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the Ontario Human Rights Code, Halton Healthcare will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment and selection process. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your accommodation needs to ensure your equal participation.
All personal information is collected under the authority of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.
Halton Healthcare is a smoke free facility in and around all three sites. Smoking is not permitted on hospital properties. We thank everyone who works at or visits our hospitals for respecting this healthy initiative. We are also a scent-free environment for all employees and visitors to accommodate individuals’ health concerns arising from exposure to scented products. We ask for everyone's cooperation in our efforts to accommodate health concerns.