Position: Laboratory Information Systems Coordinator
Status: Permanent Full-Time
Site: Oakville, Milton and Georgetown Hospitals
Hours: Monday to Friday - varied day shifts with the ability to attend early morning and evening meetings as needed. (subject to change based on operational requirements)
Halton Healthcare is seeking an individual with exceptional understanding of laboratory information systems and overall laboratory technical operations to oversee the tri-hospital operation and quality management of the electronic flow of laboratory information.
The LIS coordinator is accountable to support the development, operation and maintenance of the Laboratory Information Systems. As a key member of the Laboratory Quality Management Team, the LIS coordinator will utilize their exceptional technical, client-centred and project management skills, to work collaboratively with Hospital Information Systems, other laboratory leaders, physicians and staff internal and external to the organization to meet both laboratory and Halton Healthcare wide operational and strategic goals.
This is what you'll be doing:
- Monitor and respond to day-to-day laboratory information system issues
- Coordinate the development, operation and maintenance of Laboratory Information Systems across all sites including collaborating with other departments to assess needs, review current systems and recommend and implement changes.
- Develop and maintain policies and procedures for Laboratory Information Systems.
- Develop and monitor training programs for departmental staff in the use of automated information systems.
- Configure, support and analyze Laboratory Information Systems data in order to make recommendations and support operational improvements, Quality management, strategic planning and clinical/physician impact analyses
- Recommend, design, and implement changes, and enhancements to automated information systems
- Evaluate and define LIS needs for patient and resident clinical departments at Halton Healthcare.
- Review user requests in order to modify existing programs and/or design and implement new programs to meet user needs.
- Support implementation and training of computer applications in use in the Laboratory
- Review current Laboratory Information Systems in order to make recommendations to management for the development of new systems and/or modification of existing systems.
- Provide project management support for laboratory initiatives enhancing or introducing new information systems linkages internal or external to the laboratory i.e. voice recognition
- Represent and participate in appropriate committees addressing institution-wide information systems.
- Review current literature in order to obtain information on clinical directions and developments in computerized laboratory information systems.
- Maintains current knowledge of professional standards, legislation and requirements and ensures compliance of staff
- Responsible for compliance to the Institute for Quality Management in Healthcare laboratory accreditation requirements and maintenance of the Quality Management System for Laboratory Information Systems.
- Assists with the training and orientation of new staff
- Complies with the established health and safety guidelines
- Technical tasks associated with the provision of laboratory test results.
- To perform other duties as required by the Laboratory Technical Director, Laboratory Manager and the Pathologists
This is what you'll need to do it:
Halton Healthcare endeavors to hire individuals who are competent in their chosen profession and who exemplify our mission, vision and values of accountability, respect and compassion which guide our individual behaviours and attitudes.
- General MLT Registration with the College of Medical Laboratory Technologists of Ontario (CMLTO) or a minimum of a Diploma level in Information Technology, Computer Science or IT-related program.
- Minimum of 2 years of experience in LIS leadership position preferred.
- Recent experience with Meditech LIS preferred,
- Recent experience with laboratory Automation and Middleware systems preferred
- Experience in writing Meditech NPR reports an asset
- Demonstrated experience in implementation and troubleshooting of information systems
- Proficient in MS Office,
- Demonstrated Project Management experience
- Facility planning, renovation and change management experience preferred.
- Proven ability to facilitate and implement process improvements.
- Demonstrated excellent interpersonal and client-focused skills.
- Demonstrated strong written and verbal communication skills,
- Demonstrated ability to effectively multi-task and meet project timelines.
- Demonstrated commitment to the Mission and Values of Halton Healthcare.
- Must be physically able to do the job
- Satisfactory employment and attendance record
Date Posted: November 12, 2019
Internal applications due by: November 19, 2019
If you are passionate about what you do, motivated by a job well done, and as committed to excellence, quality and patient satisfaction as we are, we'd like to hear from you. Please submit your application via our website at www.haltonhealthcare.com directly to this posting and include a current copy of your resume.
We thank all those who apply but only those individuals selected for further consideration will be contacted.
In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the Ontario Human Rights Code, Halton Healthcare will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment and selection process. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your accommodation needs to ensure your equal participation.
All personal information is collected under the authority of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.
Halton Healthcare is a smoke free facility in and around all three sites. Smoking is not permitted on hospital properties. We thank everyone who works at or visits our hospitals for respecting this healthy initiative. We are also a scent-free environment for all employees and visitors to accommodate individuals’ health concerns arising from exposure to scented products, We ask for everyone's cooperation in our efforts to accommodate health concerns.