Revised & Reposted
Posting #: 2021-880265
Position: Registered Nurse
Department: Diagnostic Imaging – Interventional Radiology
Status: Temporary Part-time - Approx. 1 Year (Must provide an availability of a 0.4 FTE)
Hours: Various rotating 7.5 hour shifts (Hours subject to change based on operational requirements)
Site: Oakville (Milton as required)
Halton Healthcare takes great pride in providing quality, compassionate healthcare services to our rapidly growing communities. As a progressive and vibrant healthcare organization, we are committed to being an innovative centre of excellence in community hospital care in the Halton and Peel Regions.
The Diagnostic Imaging departments of Halton Healthcare take great pride in knowing we are providing a high quality and safe service within a patient and family centered environment. Guided by our core values, the Diagnostic Imaging team is committed to providing our patients access to the best possible care at the time they need it most.
Interventional Radiology is a rapidly expanding field of expertise. A wide range of procedures are performed in our Interventional Radiology Suite from Angiography, Angioplasty and Vascular stent insertions, large organ core Biopsies and embolization. There are a number of new and exciting services on the horizon. With the opening of the new hospital we will also be opening our own 12 bed recovery area.
This is what you'll be doing:
- Obtain and perform pre and post examination assessments for interventional procedures completed throughout the department to establish priorities and create a care plan.
- Prepare patients for and assist with examinations, treatments and procedures
- Monitor, assess and address accurately and promptly document and report symptoms and changes in patients’ conditions. Monitor all aspects of patient care, including diet and physical activity
- Instruct patients and families on pre and post procedure care.
- Practices infection control standards of Halton Healthcare in accordance with universal standards.
- Responsible for continuous lifelong learning and education to maintain personal competence in the practice of nursing. This new knowledge will also be continuously applied to improve patient care.
- Responsible and accountable for all assigned patient care and ensuring that this care meets the standards of the profession and applicable legislative requirements.
- Maintain ethical framework through respecting patient choices, maintaining privacy and confidentiality, promoting client well-being and following through on commitments while remaining professional, truthful and fair.
- Accept responsibility for knowing when it is prudent to seek advice of others.
- Collaborate with members of an interdisciplinary health team to plan, implement, coordinate and evaluate patient care in consultation with patients and their families in a respectful, therapeutic and professional manner.
- Provides report to other care areas when transfer of care occurs post procedure.
- Assists in the set-up, performance and post procedure care of Imaging procedures as required.
- Assists radiologist during a variety of sterile imaging procedures.
- Prepares and administers medications for sedation for Interventional procedures when indicated. Provides explanation to patient and/or substitute decision maker.
- Coordinates effective handling of emergencies arising from contrast media reactions, seizures, cardiac arrest, etc
- Care of “In patients”, IV pumps and necessary patient care.
- Liaise with physicians regarding patient testing.
- Processes biopsy and aspiration specimens by completing requisition and deliver specimens to correct lab area.
This is what you'll need to do it:
Halton Healthcare endeavors to hire individuals who are competent in their chosen profession and who exemplify our mission, vision and values of accountability, respect and compassion which guide our individual behaviours and attitudes.
- Current registration in good standing with the College of Nurses of Ontario
- General nursing experience with a minimum of 3 years nursing experience in radiology, operating room, emergency or critical care required
- Phlebotomy and Venipuncture combined with I.V. Start Skills required
- Current BCLS and ACLS Certification is required at time of hire
- Experience in Interventional Radiography is preferred
- PICC line insertion experience
- Experience with PICC line trouble shooting (ie.use of cathflo) , critical thinking, risk assessment, care and management
- General knowledge of the Diagnostic Imaging environment and experience in catheters, needles and guide wires is an asset.
- Knowledge regarding function and use of equipment required in the provision of patient care (i.e.-IV pumps, vital signs machines, etc.)
- Able to work effectively and collaboratively with interdisciplinary team even in stressful situations in a variety of ways (i.e.-verbal, written and electronic) with demonstrated ability to establish effective working relationships
- Commitment to high quality patient care through sensitivity and prompt response to needs of co-workers, patients and families as well as an ongoing commitment to improving customer service
- Effective communicator with ability to facilitate workflow.
- Excellent problem solving and decision-making skills.
- Demonstrates initiative.
- Evidence of continuous lifelong learning and education in order to maintain competency in the profession to consistently seek continuous improvement in patient care
- Must be able to work well under busy conditions, handling urgent situations requiring life saving actions.
- Must be physically able to do the job that involves standing for long periods of time while wearing a lead apron, lifting and intensive physical effort.
- Requires the ability to remain focused, calm and tactful while coping with concurrent demands for high quality service.
- Satisfactory employment and attendance record
Salary: $33.90 to $48.53 per hour
Date Re-Posted: September 14, 2021
Open until filled
Please apply if you are passionate about what you do, motivated by a job well done, and as committed to excellence, quality and patient satisfaction as we are. Please submit your application via our website at www.haltonhealthcare.com directly to this posting and include a current copy of your resume.
We thank all those who apply but only those individuals selected for further consideration will be contacted.
In accordance with Directive #6, Halton Healthcare has implemented a COVID-19 Vaccination and Management Policy. All new hires must be fully compliant with our Policy as a condition of employment with Halton Healthcare. Successful applicants will be required to provide proof of vaccination or proof of a documented medical exemption as part of the hiring process.
In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the Ontario Human Rights Code, Halton Healthcare will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment and selection process. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your accommodation needs to ensure your equal participation.
All personal information is collected under the authority of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.
Halton Healthcare is a smoke free facility in and around all three sites. Smoking is not permitted on hospital properties. We thank everyone who works at or visits our hospitals for respecting this healthy initiative. We are also a scent-free environment for all employees and visitors to accommodate individuals’ health concerns arising from exposure to scented products. We ask for everyone's cooperation in our efforts to accommodate health concerns.