Position: Software Engineer, Bioinformatics (2 Vacancies)
Site: MaRS Centre, Toronto
Reports To: Principal Investigator
Salary: Commensurate with level of experience
Hours: 35 Hrs/ Week
Status: Full-Time, Contract (1-3 Years)
The Boutros Lab at the Ontario Institute for Cancer Research is looking for software engineers who want to solve the computationally complex problems we encounter in the search for the cure for cancer. We are a global leader in transforming big datasets into a meaningful understanding of cancer. Our work helps to improve the treatment and care for thousands of cancer patients across the world.
The data we deal with is truly huge: individual datasets are hundreds of terabytes, and can include numerical, textual and imaging data. The team is incredibly diverse, with biologists, statisticians, software engineers, bioinformaticians, mathematicians, computer scientists and machine learning experts working side-by-side toward the common goal of improving the outcomes of cancer patients.
Our software engineers are passionate about applying their knowledge of software development and design to improve scientific research. They develop scalable and distributed software solutions that maximize utilization of our ~10,000 CPU computing cluster and address the challenges of storing and accessing petabytes of genomic data.
Use your technical skills to tackle one of the hardest problems of our time in a world-leading research institute.
Responsibilities May Include:
- low-level optimization and parallelization
- development of computational pipelines for analyzing big data
- building and maintaining core infrastructure (e.g. build systems, automated code-quality assessment)
- database schema design and management
- web design and development
- systems administration
- applied machine learning
- cloud-based workflow development and deployment
- open-source software development and maintenance
- mentorship of junior software engineers and co-op students
- training of biologists and statisticians in software engineering fundamentals
- Bachelor's degree or further training in Software Engineering, Computer Science or Computer/Electrical Engineering
- 3-5 years of experience
- Excellent implementation skills (high-level and low-level languages) a must
- Experience with all or most of the following: Perl, R, C, C++, Python
- Knowledge of UNIX/Linux environments
- Experience with version control systems (SVN, Git, Mercurial, etc)
- Beneficial skills include:
- systems software
- algorithm design and analysis
- performance optimization
- SGE or other job scheduling systems
- experience with Amazon Web Services, Google Cloud Engine or other clouds
- distributed programming
- prior exposure to molecular biology, biochemistry or bioinformatics
- prior exposure to machine learning techniques
- RDBMS skills (e.g. PostgreSQL)
OICR is an innovative cancer research institute located in the MaRS Centre in the Discovery District in downtown Toronto. OICR is addressing significant challenges in cancer research with multi-disciplinary, multi-institutional teams. New discoveries to prevent, detect and treat cancer will be moved from the bench to practical applications in patients. The OICR team is growing quickly. We are innovative, dedicated professionals who bring expertise to each of our roles. We are looking for individuals interested in being part of a culture of excellence that will result in Ontario being recognized internationally as a leading jurisdiction for cancer research.
Launched in December 2005, OICR is an independent institute funded by the Government of Ontario through the Ministry of Research, Innovation and Science.
For more information about OICR, please visit the website at www.oicr.on.ca.
POSTED DATE: May 11, 2017
CLOSING DATE: Until Filled
OICR is an inclusive employer dedicated to building a diverse workforce. We encourage applications from all qualified candidates and will accommodate applicants’ needs throughout all stages of the recruitment and selection process. Please advise the Recruiter to ensure your accessibility needs are accommodated throughout this process. Information received relating to accommodation will be addressed confidentially.
The Ontario Institute for Cancer Research thanks all applicants. However, only those under consideration will be contacted. Candidates will be expected to provide their current employer as a reference.
Resume Format: If you elect to apply, you will need a text or HTML version of your resume so that you can cut and paste it into the application box provided. Before you submit the completed application, you will be asked to attach one or two files to your application. Please attach your resume as a .doc file.