Position: Junior DevOps Administrator, Data Science
Site: MaRS Centre, Toronto
Reports To: Dr. Paul Boutros, Principal Investigator
Salary: Commensurate with level of experience
Hours: 35 Hrs/ Week
Status: Full-Time, Contract (2 Years)
The Boutros Laboratory (http://labs.oicr.on.ca/boutros-lab) at the Ontario Institute for Cancer Research (OICR) seeks an energetic and passionate Junior DevOps Administrator, Data Science to support development infrastructure for a team of ~40 bioinformaticians, software engineers and data scientists.
Major responsibilities include monitoring, management and innovation in build systems and continuous integration methodologies; installation of software into both high performance computing cluster (HPC) and cloud environments including via Docker and other containers; administration of concurrent versioning systems (e.g. svn, git); website maintenance; and database design/management. All these tasks will be done in tight collaboration with end-users, so a key component of this role will be communicating with scientists and software engineers to elucidate IT solutions that enable cutting-edge cancer research. This can include the development of training materials, and facilitating the public release of open-source packages developed by the team.
The Boutros lab is a world-leader in the analysis of cancer genomes, and has a dynamic work environment with rapid technological evolution and early access to cutting edge genomic and computational innovations. We have in-team software engineering expertise, and use modern development practices (agile, build automation, OOP, cloud-ready workflows, HPC, low-level parallelization, self-healing pipelines, etc.).
Specific Responsibilities Include:
- Build system monitoring, management and innovation
- Software installation to Linux-based HPC and cloud environments
- Source-code repository interaction, organization and automation
- Maintenance and enhancement of public-facing websites and internal web applications, e.g. Jenkins, Phabricator, Shiny, Moodle
- Database design and management
- Communication with and in support of data-scientists, bioinformaticians and software engineers in big-data analytics and software-development workflows
- Interface with the HPC and desktop support teams
- Prepare and maintain training documentation
- Manage and automate release of open-source software
- College diploma, University BMath or BCS or equivalent training in Computer Systems Technology or a similar discipline
- Strong Linux/Unix skills required
- Strong source-code management skills required
- Database administration/SQL understanding required
- Experience with systems programming in perl is an asset
- Experience with programming in R is an asset
- Experience with R administration, package construction and installation is a major asset
- Web development experience with ruby, PHP or Apache is an asset
- Experience with continuous integration systems (e.g. Jenkins) is an asset
OICR is an innovative cancer research institute located in the MaRS Centre in the Discovery District in downtown Toronto. OICR is addressing significant challenges in cancer research with multi-disciplinary, multi-institutional teams. New discoveries to prevent, detect and treat cancer will be moved from the bench to practical applications in patients. The OICR team is growing quickly. We are innovative, dedicated professionals who bring expertise to each of our roles. We are looking for individuals interested in being part of a culture of excellence that will result in Ontario being recognized internationally as a leading jurisdiction for cancer research.
Launched in December 2005, OICR is an independent institute funded by the Government of Ontario through the Ministry of Research, Innovation and Science.
For more information about OICR, please visit the website at www.oicr.on.ca.
CLOSING DATE: Until Filled
OICR is an inclusive employer dedicated to building a diverse workforce. We encourage applications from all qualified candidates and will accommodate applicants’ needs throughout all stages of the recruitment and selection process. Please advise the Recruiter to ensure your accessibility needs are accommodated throughout this process. Information received relating to accommodation will be addressed confidentially.
The Ontario Institute for Cancer Research thanks all applicants. However, only those under consideration will be contacted. Candidates will be expected to provide their current employer as a reference.
Resume Format: If you elect to apply, you will need a text or HTML version of your resume so that you can cut and paste it into the application box provided. Before you submit the completed application, you will be asked to attach one or two files to your application. Please attach your resume as a .doc file.