Position: Data Analyst
Site: MaRS Centre, Toronto
Department: Ontario Health Study
Reports To: Program Manager
Salary: Commensurate with level of experience
Hours: 35 hours/week
Status: Full-time, Permanent
The Ontario Institute for Cancer Research (OICR) is seeking a Data Analyst to work within the Ontario Health Study team. The duties of this position include data cleaning; conducting quantitative analysis and analyzing data to develop reports, graphs, and publications; and applying advanced statistical methodology to genetic and epidemiological research. The Data Analyst will be responsible for overall data management, and provide support and consultation to students and other Study staff.
The responsibilities include:
• Responsible for data management, including extracting data from large databases, preparing data for analyses (i.e., data cleaning), deriving additional measures to be used for analysis, and preparing written documentation regarding data specifications;
• Lead in the analysis of data to ensure internal consistency and data integrity;
• Clarify/confirm data specifications to support the extraction and transformation processes required to develop research-ready data sets for internal and external researchers. Included are the oversight and accountability for data validation, quality and de-identification;
• Complete quantitative analyses and provide synthesized research results, charts, and graphs for operational and research reports, publications, scientific manuscripts, grant and ethics applications as required;
• In collaboration with IT, provide input into database design for appropriate data storage;
• Provide statistical consultation to researchers regarding analysis of Ontario Health Study data, which may include providing support and consultation to junior statisticians;
• Develop and produce monthly/quarterly/annual reports for stakeholders and ad-hoc reporting for executives and funders.
• At minimum, completion of a Master’s Degree in Mathematics, Statistics, Epidemiology or recognized equivalent required;
• Knowledge of research and methodology, qualitative and quantitative data collection and analysis techniques, statistics, and database development;
• A minimum of 3 years practical and related experience required;
• Strong statistical skills, including computational analysis using R and SAS;
• Capability in manipulation, extraction, linking and analysis of data;
• Experience working with a population-based longitudinal study with comprehensive phenotypic and genetic data with a large number of participants is preferred;
• Familiarity with MySQL an asset;
• Ability to develop and maintain strong working relationships with partners and colleagues;
• Demonstrated ability to set priorities and meet deadlines;
• Strong verbal and written communication skills.
OICR is an innovative cancer research institute located in the MaRS Centre in the Discovery District in downtown Toronto. OICR is addressing significant challenges in cancer research with multi-disciplinary, multi-institutional teams. New discoveries to prevent, detect and treat cancer will be moved from the bench to practical applications in patients. The OICR team is growing quickly. We are innovative, dedicated professionals who bring expertise to each of our roles. We are looking for individuals interested in being part of a culture of excellence that will result in Ontario being recognized internationally as a leading jurisdiction for cancer research.
Launched in December 2005, OICR is an independent institute funded by the Government of Ontario through the Ministry of Research, Innovation, and Science.
For more information about OICR, please visit the website at www.oicr.on.ca.
POSTED DATE: July 13, 2017
CLOSING DATE: Until Filled
OICR is an inclusive employer dedicated to building a diverse workforce. We encourage applications from all qualified candidates and will accommodate applicants’ needs throughout all stages of the recruitment and selection process. Please advise the Recruiter to ensure your accessibility needs are accommodated throughout this process. Information received relating to accommodation will be addressed confidentially.
The Ontario Institute for Cancer Research thanks all applicants. However, only those under consideration will be contacted.
Resume Format: If you elect to apply, you will need a text or HTML version of your resume so that you can cut and paste it into the application box provided. Before you submit the completed application, you will be asked to attach one or two files to your application. Please attach your resume as a .doc file.