Position: Technical Lead/Team Lead, Research IT Infrastructure
Site: MaRS Centre, Toronto
Department: Information Technology
Reports To: Senior Manager
Salary: Commensurate with level of experience
Hours: 35 hours/week
Status: Full-time Permanent
The Ontario Institute for Cancer Research (OICR) is seeking a Technical Lead/Team Lead for our Research IT Infrastructure team.
Reporting to the Sr. Manager, Research IT Infrastructure, the Lead will perform hands on Linux system administration tasks up to an expert level, and will provide technical leadership to a team of Systems Administrators supporting a large onsite server, storage and network infrastructure.
The Research IT infrastructure consists of modern, leading edge technology supporting a large number of onsite and remote Researchers. The infrastructure includes ~500 virtual machines (web/app/db servers) under OpenStack/Ceph, 10,000 compute cores under Grid Engine with access to 7+ PetaBytes of NAS storage, and a high performance 10G based network. The Lead will play a key role in integrating cloud based services to augment the onsite capacity.
The team performs a variety of conventional Linux System Administration tasks, but also performs many Dev/Ops and application related functions typical of a rapid paced research institute.
The Lead will ensure that services meet the service level needs of the Institute and meet the Confidentiality, Integrity, and Availability requirements of the Institute.
The Lead will assist the Sr. Manager with the implementation of new technologies, the continuous refresh and improvement of existing infrastructure, and will deliver on the strategies as set by the Director and OICR management.
Experience and Skill Requirements
• Current, hands-on, expert level Linux System Administrator, supporting more than 50 production Linux servers providing web/application/database services. Expert level knowledge of Debian and/or Ubuntu. Can troubleshoot all types of server OS issues, can tune Linux servers for performance, can harden Linux servers for security, can build servers for high availability, actively participates in various Linux dev communities and does not require commercial Linux support services. More than 12 years total hands on experience as a Linux Sys Admin;
• Expert level knowledge of infrastructure services like DNS, Mail, LDAP/AD, data backup and restore, and logging;
• Ability to work well with other and to provide technical leadership; collaborate with others; make technical recommendations; communicate technical decisions; mentor technical staff; assign technical tasks to Sys Admins; monitor quality of work being performed by Sys Admins;
• Expert level experience in selecting, configuring, and using modern, leading edge automation (e.g. Ansible) and monitoring tools;
• Expert level knowledge configuring and operating a large number of, secure, scalable, highly available servers on a server virtualization platform based on technology like OpenStack, VMWare or KVM.
Nice to have, or keen interest in learning:
• Large (500+TB) NAS storage, and network experience;
• Ability to implement and support container and orchestration technologies - specifically Docker and Kubernetes;
• Data backup and archiving to cloud services like Amazon S3 and Glacier.
The following are considered an asset:
• Experience using and administering a Grid based HPC (e.g. Sun Grid Engine, Open Grid Scheduler, Moab, Torque, Univa Grid Engine) environment;
• Academic, Research or Health Care sector experience.
• Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or related discipline;
• Related technical certifications and professional memberships would be considered an asset.
OICR is an innovative cancer research institute located in the MaRS Centre in the Discovery District in downtown Toronto. OICR is addressing significant challenges in cancer research with multi-disciplinary, multi-institutional teams. New discoveries to prevent, detect and treat cancer will be moved from the bench to practical applications in patients. The OICR team is growing quickly. We are innovative, dedicated professionals who bring expertise to each of our roles. We are looking for individuals interested in being part of a culture of excellence that will result in Ontario being recognized internationally as a leading jurisdiction for cancer research.
Launched in December 2005, OICR is an independent institute funded by the Government of Ontario through the Ministry of Research, Innovation and Science.
For more information about OICR, please visit the website at www.oicr.on.ca.
CLOSING DATE: Until filled
OICR is an inclusive employer dedicated to building a diverse workforce. We encourage applications from all qualified candidates and will accommodate applicants’ needs throughout all stages of the recruitment and selection process. Please advise the Recruiter to ensure your accessibility needs are accommodated throughout this process. Information received relating to accommodation will be addressed confidentially.
The Ontario Institute for Cancer Research thanks all applicants. However, only those under consideration will be contacted.
Resume Format: If you elect to apply, you will need a text or HTML version of your resume so that you can cut and paste it into the application box provided. Before you submit the completed application, you will be asked to attach one or two files to your application. Please attach your resume as a .doc file.