Position: System Administrator, Research IT Infrastructure
Site: MaRS Centre, Toronto
Department: Information Technology
Reports To: Senior Manager
Salary: Commensurate with level of experience
Hours: 35 hours/week
Status: Full-time Permanent
The Ontario Institute for Cancer Research (OICR) is seeking a Systems Administrator
The System Administrator will be part of a technical team responsible for administering and maintaining services and solutions in any or all of the following areas:
1. High Performance Computing and Advanced Research Computing systems (10,000 compute cores, 6+ Peta Bytes of NAS storage, 10G network); job scheduling; resource queues; application installation and configuration;
2. Virtualization & Cloud Infrastructure (e.g. OpenStack Ceph, Docker);
3. Core infrastructure services and applications (e.g. DNS, LDAP, NTP, DHCP, MySQL, PostgresSQL, load balancing, backup/restore, Nagios, Confluence, JIRA, Service Desk, CROWD, Email routing, monitoring tools, automation tools, Tomcat, Apache, WordPress);
4. General purpose Linux servers (web, database, application) with the majority virtualized under OpenStack;
5. Data Centre operations;
6. Network (LAN and WAN); all aspects of OICR’s network including data centre, campus, ISP management, IP space management, firewalls, routing, switching, SIEM, logging, auditing, wired and wireless;
The Systems Administrator will ensure that solutions in the assigned areas meet the service level needs of the Institute and meet the Confidentiality, Integrity, and Availability requirements as defined by the Institute.
Assist with the implementation of new technologies, the continuous refresh and improvement of existing infrastructure and will deliver on the tasks assigned by the Team Lead and Sr. Manager.
• Install and maintain hardware in OICR on-site data centres;
• Configure, build and maintain servers, storage and network infrastructure;
• Support and maintain Linux operating systems and system applications;
• Support and maintain the High Performance Compute cluster and its associated file systems to ensure it performs to expectations and meets the needs of Researchers;
• Implement automation and configuration management tasks;
• Monitor, respond and ensure that day to day user requests related to server, storage, network and HPC issues; and system maintenance tasks are completed in a timely and accurate manner;
• Enforce security of all systems by monitoring for vulnerabilities, installing security patches, and following best practices for hardening;
• Work with monitoring tools and log files to pro-actively identify problems, and take action in order to avoid service interruptions, and to reduce down time when service disruptions occur;
• Follow best practice procedures and methodologies associated with supporting and operating complex Information Technology infrastructures including Change Management and Problem Management;
• Maintain and update documentation;
• Assist project teams with technical solutions and deployments;
• Assist the IT Help Desk team with Linux user level support issues which they cannot resolve on their own;
• Perform server backup and restore tasks;
• Performs cross-functional and/or other duties consistent with the job classification, as assigned or requested;
• Prevent, identify, assess, and mitigate security vulnerabilities and threats;
• Identify, report, and escalate Information Security and Information Privacy risks, incidents and breaches as per OICR Policies;
• Remain current with technology infrastructure.
• Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or related discipline;
• Related technical certifications and professional memberships would be considered an asset.
• 6+ years of experience in Linux system administration;
• Advanced level knowledge in:
• supporting Linux high performance clusters, grid computing, job scheduling - under Sun Grid Engine;
• building and operating high availability, and high performance Linux based servers in a large virtualized (OpenStack) environment;
• Debian and Ubuntu Linux;
• securing Linux servers;
• tuning Linux servers for performance;
• directory services; LDAP and Active Directory;
• Linux script writing (e.g. Bash, Python, Perl);
• Configuration Management (e.g. Ansible, Puppet, Chef);
• common protocols such as TCP/IP, DNS, NFS, LDAP, SMTP, POP3, IMAP, SNMP;
• large NFS storage solutions;
• hierarchical data storage techniques;
• networking, including switches, routers, firewalls;
• implementing and supporting cloud based services (e.g. AWS, Azure, Google Cloud)
• Experience in implementing and supporting enterprise data backup, archive and restore solutions, including cloud based data archival to services like Amazon Glacier;
• Experience using, maintaining, and supporting the following applications, tools and databases: MySQL, Postgres, MongoDB, Apache, git, svn, Confluence, Jira, Nagios, ELK;
• Excellent interpersonal and communication (verbal and written) skills;
• The ability to work well in a busy, high paced, team environment;
• Operate day to day consistently with the OICR values (Excellence, Innovation, Responsiveness, Pride, Collaboration) with internal and external constituents, including being customer focused, operating with integrity and respecting diversity in all dealings.
OICR is an innovative cancer research institute located in the MaRS Centre in the Discovery District in downtown Toronto. OICR is addressing significant challenges in cancer research with multi-disciplinary, multi-institutional teams. New discoveries to prevent, detect and treat cancer will be moved from the bench to practical applications in patients. The OICR team is growing quickly. We are innovative, dedicated professionals who bring expertise to each of our roles. We are looking for individuals interested in being part of a culture of excellence that will result in Ontario being recognized internationally as a leading jurisdiction for cancer research.
Launched in December 2005, OICR is an independent institute funded by the Government of Ontario through the Ministry of Research, Innovation and Science.
For more information about OICR, please visit the website at www.oicr.on.ca.
CLOSING DATE: Until Filled
OICR is an inclusive employer dedicated to building a diverse workforce. We encourage applications from all qualified candidates and will accommodate applicants’ needs throughout all stages of the recruitment and selection process. Please advise the Recruiter to ensure your accessibility needs are accommodated throughout this process. Information received relating to accommodation will be addressed confidentially.
The Ontario Institute for Cancer Research thanks all applicants. However, only those under consideration will be contacted.
Resume Format: If you elect to apply, you will need a text or HTML version of your resume so that you can cut and paste it into the application box provided. Before you submit the completed application, you will be asked to attach one or two files to your application. Please attach your resume as a .doc file.