Position: Intern (collaboration with the Ontario Brain Institute)
Site: MaRS Centre, Toronto
Department: Strategic Planning and Performance
Reports To: Director, Strategic Planning and Performance
Salary: Commensurate with level of experience
Hours: 35 hours per week
Status: Temporary full-time (6 month contract)
In partnership with the Ontario Brain Institute (OBI)’s Internship Program, OICR is seeking to recruit a talented intern to assist with several projects related to impact assessment and communication, and business planning.
The goals of the OBI Internship Program are to:
• Support the growth of the Ontario neurotechnology cluster by training highly qualified personnel (HQPs) and post-graduates for positions in for-profit or not-for-profit industry; and
• Provide opportunities “away from the bench” building skills and training opportunities in data management, knowledge translation, business operations, product development and other commercialization related activities.
Based at OICR and reporting to the Director, Strategic Planning and Performance, the Intern will assist with projects related to the successful implementation of OICR’s Strategic Plan 2016-2021, including business planning, performance measurement, and impact communication.
Specific responsibilities will be finalized with the successful applicant, and may include:
• Support implementation of the OICR logic model across research programs, analyzing performance data and identifying impacts/case studies to be highlighted;
• Work with Research Operations, the Research Programs and FACIT to better delineate the development pathways from OICR research products and services;
• Working with the Communications team:
• Develop a database of project records for promising high impact projects that can be updated periodically;
• Develop case studies;
• Define a process for updating and communicating case studies to various audiences; and
• Assist in developing materials to communicate high impact projects to OICR’s audiences (e.g., by writing news stories or using social media).
• Help to develop a corporate indicator dashboard for OICR Board and refine the design of Board KPI dashboard; and
• Help with coordination and development of the 2018-19 business plan.
• Graduation within the last 3 years, ideally from a research-based Masters or PhD program in neuroscience or a related field.
• Excellent written, organizational and communication skills;
• Exceptional interpersonal skills;
• Proven ability to think and work strategically, and take initiative;
• Demonstrated ability to facilitate collaboration amongst multiple groups.
Please note that candidates currently employed by OICR or previously supported through the OBI Internship Program are not eligible for this opportunity, unless otherwise agreed upon by OBI.
OICR is an innovative cancer research institute headquartered in the MaRS Centre in the Discovery District in downtown Toronto. OICR is addressing significant challenges in cancer research with multi-disciplinary, multi-institutional teams. New discoveries to prevent, detect and treat cancer will be moved from the bench to practical applications in patients. The OICR team is growing quickly. We are innovative, dedicated professionals who bring expertise to each of our roles. We are looking for individuals interested in being part of a culture of excellence that will result in Ontario being recognized internationally as a leading jurisdiction for cancer research.
Launched in December 2005, OICR is an independent institute funded by the Government of Ontario through the Ministry of Research, Innovation and Science.
For more information about OICR, please visit the website at www.oicr.on.ca.
POSTED DATE: October 3, 2017
CLOSING DATE: Posted until filled
OICR is an inclusive employer dedicated to building a diverse workforce. We encourage applications from all qualified candidates and will accommodate applicants’ needs throughout all stages of the recruitment and selection process. Please advise the Recruiter to ensure your accessibility needs are accommodated throughout this process. Information received relating to accommodation will be addressed confidentially.
The Ontario Institute for Cancer Research thanks all applicants. However, only those under consideration will be contacted. Candidates will be expected to provide their current employer as a reference.
Resume Format: If you elect to apply, you will need a text or HTML version of your resume so that you can cut and paste it into the application box provided. Before you submit the completed application, you will be asked to attach one or two files to your application. Please attach your resume as a .doc file.