Position: Sr. Software Developer, Backend
Site: MaRS Centre, Toronto
Department: Genome Informatics
Reports To: Director, Genome Informatics and Principal Research Scientist
Salary: Commensurate with level of experience
Hours: 35 hours/week
Status: Full-time, Permanent
We are growing! With new projects and lots of exciting technologies, the Ontario Institute for Cancer Research (OICR) is looking for passionate and talented software developers across the entire stack to join the Genome Informatics team to continue building cutting edge tools and infrastructures used by researchers around the globe to fight cancer.
Our open source applications handle vast amounts of data (2+ PB) and run on large compute environments. Designed and implemented by our in-house developers, we maintain a diverse set of tools and projects, from complex ETL systems to modern user interfaces. The Genome Informatics team has worked on a variety of projects including:
- ICGC-DCC (github, application) - Our most mature and well known project is a submission system comprised of an ETL pipeline and data portal coordinating cancer research on 89 projects with participants from all over the world. With ICGC-ARGO (github, application), ICGC is entering a new phase with an engaging and complex set of software engineering challenges ahead of us, such as providing researchers with access to 100’s of billions of genetic variants.
- Cancer Genome Collaboratory (github, website) - A compute and storage cloud operated by the team which is progressively enhanced with more tools to assist researchers running analysis pipelines.
- Human Cancer Models Initiative (HCMI) Catalog (github, application) - A searchable catalog of cancer models.
- NCI Genomic Data Commons (github, application) - A US-based unified data repository that enables data sharing across cancer genomic studies. The team was responsible for the development of the front-end and portions of the API.
As part of the Genome Informatics team, the successful candidate will be joining some of the above-mentioned projects, but also be contributing to Overture.bio (github, website), our suite of open-source components for big data genomic science in the cloud.
We are looking for a passionate senior level candidate to join our agile development teams with a focus on back-end design and architecture. Specifically, you will be responsible for leading technical backend design discussions, documenting and implementing the agreed-to designs as well as communicating those designs to a Product Owner or Technical Business Analyst.
If you feel comfortable with some of the technologies mentioned below, please get in touch and tell us about yourself!
- Experience building complex applications in a professional setting utilizing agile methodologies;
- Able to confidently lead technical architecture discussions and help drive technical decisions within the team;
- Clear and concise communication and collaboration skills. Explaining complex technical concepts to designers, product owners and other developers comes easily to you; and
- Proven experience with all or some of the following technologies
- Java 11;
- (lambdas, functional interfaces, streams API), Springboot;
- Databases: PostgreSQL, MongoDB, MySQL;
- Spring / Spring Boot;
- Strong understanding of design patterns;
- Microservice architecture;
- Node JS / Apollo / Express;
- Python / Django / Flask (Graphene);
- Elasticsearch; and
- Message broker tooling such as Kafka or RabbitMQ
Nice to haves
- Experience or exposure with the following technologies:
- Cloud solutions: OpenStack, Amazon AWS, Microsoft Azure, Google Cloud;
- Build Systems: Maven, Webpack;
- Continuous integration: Travis, Jenkins;
- Functional Programming Concepts (in any language); and
- Reactive Programming Concepts/Frameworks/Libraries (Spring Webflux/Reactor, RxJava, Bacon.js, etc)
The interview process will involve virtual interviews with whiteboard questions aimed at challenging your skills and assessing your approach to new and complex problems.
Want to learn more about our team? Check out: http://softeng.oicr.on.ca/.
To find out more about what’s happening in Genome Informatics, visit OICR news.
OICR is a collaborative, not-for-profit research institute accelerating the development of new cancer research discoveries for patients around the world while maximizing the economic benefit of this research for the people of Ontario. We are dedicated professionals who bring expertise to each of our roles. We are looking for individuals who share our values of excellence, innovation, collaboration, impact, responsibility and community.
Launched in December 2005, OICR is an independent institute funded by the Government of Ontario through the Ministry of Colleges and Universities.
For more information about OICR, please visit the website at www.oicr.on.ca.
CLOSING DATE: Until filled
OICR is an inclusive employer dedicated to building a diverse workforce. We encourage applications from all qualified candidates and will accommodate applicants’ needs throughout all stages of the recruitment and selection process. Please advise the Recruiter to ensure your accessibility needs are accommodated throughout this process. Information received relating to accommodation will be addressed confidentially.
The Ontario Institute for Cancer Research thanks all applicants. However, only those under consideration will be contacted.
Resume Format: If you elect to apply, you will need a text or HTML version of your resume so that you can cut and paste it into the application box provided. Before you submit the completed application, you will be asked to attach one or two files to your application. Please attach your resume as a .pdf or .doc file.