Position: Project Coordinator
Site: MaRS Centre, Toronto
Department: Global Alliance for Genomics and Health
Reports To: Project Manager
Salary: Commensurate with level of experience
Hours: 35 hours/week
Status: Full-time, Temporary (1 Year, Renewable)
The Ontario Institute for Cancer Research (OICR) is seeking a Project Coordinator to join the Global Alliance for Genomics and Health (GA4GH) team.
Learn more about working at OICR here.
GA4GH is an international alliance formed in 2013 to accelerate the potential of research and medicine to advance human health. Bringing together hundreds of contributors working in healthcare, research, patient advocacy, life science, and information technology, the GA4GH community is working together to create policy frameworks and standards to enable the responsible, voluntary, and secure sharing of genomic and health-related data. Learn more at www.ga4gh.org. GA4GH is supported by four international hosts: the Broad Institute of MIT and Harvard, the Welcome Sanger Institute, EMBL-EBI, and the Ontario Institute for Cancer Research (OICR). Eight technical and policy framing teams (“GA4GH Work Streams”) drive the standards development work to meet the specific needs of real world clinical and genomics data sharing projects. GA4GH Work Streams collaborate with Driver Projects—genomic data initiatives that help guide our development efforts and implementations of our products.
A primary function of this role is to provide project coordination support for GA4GH’s eight Work Streams: Genomics Knowledge Standards, Large Scale Genomics, Cloud, Data Use and Researcher Identities, Clinical and Phenotypic Data Capture, Discovery, Data Security, and Regulatory and Ethics. While the role will report to one Work Stream Manager, the Project Coordinator may be assigned to work with other Work Stream Managers or independently support a specific Work Stream or Subgroup. As part of the globally distributed secretariat of the GA4GH the position will require relations with a geographically and disciplinary diverse set of key stakeholders– from healthcare, genomics researchers and data companies throughout Europe, the Americas, Asia, and Africa.
To find out more about what's happening in GA4GH, visit OICR news.
- Act as a liaison between the Work Stream Leads, Work Stream contributors, Work Stream Managers, and the GA4GH Secretariat, explaining technical project advancements, challenges, and opportunities for collaboration;
- Track and provide support to deliver on scheduled projects;
- Support Work Stream Managers in guiding completed projects through the product approval process;
- Facilitate collaboration between assigned Work Stream(s) and other Work Streams to ensure harmony across all GA4GH projects using your organizational and technical understanding;
- Ensure the proper running of the teams though conflict resolution, finding creative solutions to challenges, and understanding the intricacies of working with global, asynchronous teams.
- Support outreach and implementation efforts for completed projects;
- Deliver high quality documents for review and feedback by the Work Stream Managers and GA4GH leadership;
- Prepare presentations and communication materials for internal and external audiences;
- Coordinate the activities of assigned Work Stream(s) by scheduling meetings, preparing materials, drafting agendas and minutes, etc.;
- Respond to external inquiries regarding the Work Stream or its projects;
- Support planning for semiannual in-person meetings with focus on workshops and sessions relating to the Work Streams;
- Attend regular GA4GH Steering Committee meetings and video-conferences and prepare materials as required; and
- Keep abreast of scientific developments that are relevant to the Work Stream and GA4GH overall
- At minimum, completion of a bachelors degree in a health-related field (E.g. Life Science, Molecular Biology, Bioethics) or recognized equivalent required.
- At minimum 1 year practical and related experience;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills (English);
- Above average organizational skills;
- Excellent analytical, problem-solving, and time management skills;
- Independent and self-motivated; able to work both collaboratively and autonomously;
- Familiarity with preparing documents, slides, and spreadsheets;
- Above average team and people management skills;
- Ability to work flexible hours to manage work streams that include contributors from many time zones;
- Thrives in a fast-paced, dynamic environment;
- Familiarity with basic concepts around genetics and genomics;
- Ability to manage tasks involving multiple stakeholders and competing deadlines.
- Familiarity with the GSuite environment;
- Familiarity with scheduling and managing conference calls through Zoom;and
- Familiarity with or interest in ELSI in genomics, clinical genomics, researcher identity management, data access and authorization, cloud computing, and/or data modelling.
OICR is a collaborative, not-for-profit research institute accelerating the development of new cancer research discoveries for patients around the world while maximizing the economic benefit of this research for the people of Ontario. We are dedicated professionals who bring expertise to each of our roles. We are looking for individuals who share our values of excellence, innovation, collaboration, impact, responsibility and community.
Launched in December 2005, OICR is an independent institute funded by the Government of Ontario through the Ministry of Colleges and Universities.
For more information about OICR, please visit the website at www.oicr.on.ca.
CLOSING DATE: Until filled
OICR is an inclusive employer dedicated to building a diverse workforce. We encourage applications from all qualified candidates and will accommodate applicants’ needs throughout all stages of the recruitment and selection process. Please advise the Recruiter to ensure your accessibility needs are accommodated throughout this process. Information received relating to accommodation will be addressed confidentially.
The Ontario Institute for Cancer Research thanks all applicants. However, only those under consideration will be contacted.
Resume Format: If you elect to apply, you will need a text or HTML version of your resume so that you can cut and paste it into the application box provided. Before you submit the completed application, you will be asked to attach one or two files to your application. Please attach your resume as a .pdf or .doc file.