Position: Research Ethics Coordinator
Site: MaRS Centre, Toronto
Department: Ontario Cancer Research Ethics Board (OCREB).
Reports To: Executive Director, OCREB
Salary: Commensurate with level of experience
Hours: 35 hours/week
Status: Full-time, Permanent
The Ontario Institute for Cancer Research (OICR) is seeking a Research Ethics Coordinator (REC) for its Ontario Cancer Research Ethics Board (OCREB).
Learn more about working at OICR here.
The REC is integral to the operations of OCREB and serves as the primary liaison between OCREB and the research teams. The REC is responsible for facilitating the research ethics review process via an online system. The REC also is responsible for facilitating compliance with the standards, regulations and guidelines governing human research participant protection. The REC must be able to communicate effectively with OCREB members, researchers, research coordinators and other staff at institutions throughout Ontario, as well as with other external stakeholders in the broader research community such as study sponsors and regulatory bodies such as Health Canada. The REC supports the OCREB Chair, Vice-Chairs and members and reports to the Executive Director.
To find out more about what’s happening in OCREB, visit OICR news.
- Coordinates and manages submissions through all aspects of the review process (full Board or delegated), from submission to approval/final decision via an online system;
- Conducts an administrative review of assigned submissions to assess for completeness and for compliance with OCREB policies and SOPs and applicable standards, regulations and guidelines;
- Assists with the preparation of meeting agendas, reviewer assignments and minutes;
- Attends OCREB meetings and distills complex discussions, consolidating key oral and written OCREB comments, recommendations and concerns into formal letters to researchers;
- Ensures that OCREB decisions are accurately communicated to researchers in a timely manner;
- Maintains accurate documentation of discussions and decisions;
- Communicates and coordinates with the Chair, Vice-Chair or other OCREB members as applicable to facilitate a final decision;
- Works collaboratively with the Senior REC, the Research Ethics Officer, the Chair, the Vice-Chairs and OCREB members to ensure consistency in the application of OCREB policies and to ensure compliance with regulations, guidelines and policies throughout the ethics review processes;
- Serves as a resource for researchers/research teams on regulations and guidelines governing the ethical conduct of research and on OCREB requirements;
- Fosters effective communication with internal and external stakeholders;
- Participates in and contributes to regular OCREB team meetings;
- Contributes to the development, implementation and communication of policies and procedures; and
- Willing to engage in special projects, when possible.
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree; health sciences-related field preferred;
- Minimum 3 years practical and related experience;
- Sound knowledge of clinical trial conduct, front-line experience with study participants preferred;
- Experience in oncology clinical trials preferred;
- Research ethics experience highly desirable;
- Sound knowledge of the regulations and guidelines governing clinical research and research ethics - i.e., the protection of human research participants;
- Highly computer literate (e.g., Word, Excel, Outlook);
- Well-developed oral and written communication skills;
- Strong analytical, critical thinking, organizational and time management skills;
- Ability to synthesize findings and to judge and substantiate the significance of the findings;
- Ability to make thoughtful, informed, and thorough decisions;
- Ability to analyze problems, identify key information and issues, and effectively resolve;
- Ability to handle details with a high degree of accuracy and to organize and prioritize a high volume of work to meet both internal and external deadlines;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a demonstrated ability to exercise high level of tact and diplomacy in dealing with a wide variety of diverse stakeholders;
- Ability to work both independently and within a collaborative team environment.
OICR is a collaborative, not-for-profit research institute accelerating the development of new cancer research discoveries for patients around the world while maximizing the economic benefit of this research for the people of Ontario. We are dedicated professionals who bring expertise to each of our roles. We are looking for individuals who share our values of excellence, innovation, collaboration, impact, responsibility and community.
Launched in December 2005, OICR is an independent institute funded by the Government of Ontario through the Ministry of Colleges and Universities.
For more information about OICR, please visit the website at www.oicr.on.ca.
OCREB, a program of OICR, is an expert oncology Research Ethics Board (REB) serving hospitals in Ontario that conduct cancer clinical trials. OCREB was a pioneer in establishing a centralized model of ethics review for multi-centre cancer trials in Ontario. Since its first meeting in January 2004, OCREB has been working with researchers, institutions and sponsors to safeguard the rights and welfare of research participants, while advancing ethically sound cancer research. OCREB is a respected leader in research ethics and was the first REB in Ontario to be qualified through Clinical Trials Ontario REB Qualification program. For more information about OCREB, please visit https://ocreb.ca.
CLOSING DATE: Until Filled
OICR is an inclusive employer dedicated to building a diverse workforce. We encourage applications from all qualified candidates and will accommodate applicants’ needs throughout all stages of the recruitment and selection process. Please advise the Recruiter to ensure your accessibility needs are accommodated throughout this process. Information received relating to accommodation will be addressed confidentially.
The Ontario Institute for Cancer Research thanks all applicants. However, only those under consideration will be contacted.
Resume Format: If you elect to apply, you will need a text or HTML version of your resume so that you can cut and paste it into the application box provided. Before you submit the completed application, you will be asked to attach one or two files to your application. Please attach your resume as a .pdf or .doc file.