Position: Software Developer II
Site: MaRS Centre, Toronto
Department: Computational Biology
Reports To: Senior Project Manager
Salary: Commensurate with level of experience
Hours: 35 hours/week
Status: Full-time, Temporary (1 year)
The Ontario Institute for Cancer Research (OICR) is seeking a Software Developer II to join the Computational Biology team.
Learn more about working at OICR here.
Reactome (reactome.org) is a manually curated, peer-reviewed open access biological pathway knowledgebase that can be publicly used and redistributed by all biological research community members. Our team consists of an international and inter-disciplinary mix of professionals: curators, software and database engineers, and an outreach co-ordinator. An exciting opportunity has been created for a talented software developer II to work on the Reactome project at the Ontario Institute for Cancer Research (OICR, oicr.on.ca). The post holder will create and improve biological data processing pipelines and develop user-facing web pages. The post holder will be creative, curious, and ambitious and tackle challenging biological data integration and visualization problems. This is a 1 (one) year contract with the potential to extend.
To find out more about what's happening in Computational Biology, visit OICR news.
- Develop, test, and validate data mining techniques and other computational workflows to identify sources of relevant annotation data;
- Working with colleagues to ensure that relevant data identified by these workflows are fed into the Reactome data release and curation pipelines;
- Identify, extract, and deliver relevant Reactome data to collaborators and other informatics platforms;
- Working with software development team to productionise methods;
- Representing the team and the institute at project meetings, with other collaborators and at international scientific conferences; and
- Contributing to the broader goals of the team in developing resources for the scientific community.
- Skill and knowledge acquired through completion of university or equivalent (Bachelor’s Degree);
- 2-4 years of professional experience in software development;
- Demonstrable hands-on expertise in at least one programming/scripting language (JAVA);
- Experience in data handling, file manipulation;
- Experience with programmatic access frameworks;
- Ability to work accurately and quickly to meet deadlines;
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team; and
- Good communication skills (both verbal and presentational).
It is an advantage if you have:
- Experience in full-stack web development;
- Knowledge of SQL or Cypher and experience working with relational or graph databases, respectively; and
- Practical knowledge of modern machine learning and text-mining techniques.
OICR is a collaborative, not-for-profit research institute accelerating the development of new cancer research discoveries for patients around the world while maximizing the economic benefit of this research for the people of Ontario. We are dedicated professionals who bring expertise to each of our roles. We are looking for individuals who share our values of excellence, innovation, collaboration, impact, responsibility and community.
Launched in December 2005, OICR is an independent institute funded by the Government of Ontario through the Ministry of Colleges and Universities.
For more information about OICR, please visit the website at www.oicr.on.ca.
CLOSING DATE: Until Filled
OICR is an inclusive employer dedicated to building a diverse workforce. We encourage applications from all qualified candidates and will accommodate applicants’ needs throughout all stages of the recruitment and selection process. Please advise the Recruiter to ensure your accessibility needs are accommodated throughout this process. Information received relating to accommodation will be addressed confidentially.
The Ontario Institute for Cancer Research thanks all applicants. However, only those under consideration will be contacted.
Resume Format: If you elect to apply, you will need a text or HTML version of your resume so that you can cut and paste it into the application box provided. Before you submit the completed application, you will be asked to attach one or two files to your application. Please attach your resume as a .pdf or .doc file.