Position: Software Developer I
Site: MaRS Centre, Toronto
Department: Computational Biology
Reports To: Senior Project Manager
Salary: Commensurate with level of experience
Hours: 35 hours/week
Status: Full-time, Temporary (1 year contract with potential to extend)
The Ontario Institute for Cancer Research (OICR) is seeking a Software Developer I to join the Computational Biology team.
Fully vaccinated is defined as having received all of the required doses of a Health Canada approved vaccine and having received the final dose at least 14 days before your employment start date.
As described above, the requirement to be fully vaccinated is subject to the Ontario Human Rights Code. If the candidate is unable to receive the COVID-19 vaccine for a reason protected by the Code, requests for accommodation from the vaccine policy will be assessed on a case-by-case basis.
Learn more about working at OICR here.
The Alliance of Genome Resources (alliancegenome.org) and WormBase (wormbase.org) are open access and open source databases supporting a global community of researchers using model organisms to study fundamental problems in biology and human disease. An exciting opportunity has been created for a talented software developer to work on these two partner projects at the Ontario Institute for Cancer Research (OICR; oicr.on.ca). Our team consists of an international and inter-disciplinary mix of professionals: biologists, biological curators, software engineers, and user interface designers. The post holder will develop user interfaces for both projects as well as assist with cloud-based deployment operations. The successful applicant will be creative, curious, and ambitious and able to tackle biological data presentation issues and cloud architecture challenges in both an independent and collaborative fashion. This is a 1 (one) year contract with the potential to extend.
- Work with stakeholders to define requirements for new user interface features.
- Implement new user interface features for the WormBase and Alliance websites.
- Enhance and maintain existing features in response to new data and bug reports.
- Assist with a cloud-based deployment workflow of the WormBase website.
- Participate in group meetings, teleconferences, and planning sessions.
- Represent the team and the institute at project meetings and international scientific conferences as needed.
- Contribute to the broader goals of the team in developing resources for the scientific community.
- Skill and knowledge acquired through completion of university or equivalent (Bachelor’s Degree).
- Demonstrable fluency in at least one of the following programming languages: Clojure, Python, Java.
- Experience creating efficient and effective user interfaces using React, Node.js or similar frameworks.
- Experience with AWS, particularly EC2 and Elastic Beanstalk.
- Familiarity with source code management via Github.
- Excellent command of common knowledge work tools: Slack, Zoom, Github, etc.
- Ability to work accurately and quickly to meet deadlines.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written, virtual or in person).
It is advantageous if you have:
- Experience in full-stack web development.
- Familiarity with Agile principles in general and Agile Scrum methodology in particular.
- Knowledge of relational and/or graph databases and data modeling practices.
- Fluency or familiarity with the Perl programming language.
OICR is a collaborative, not-for-profit research institute accelerating the development of new cancer research discoveries for patients around the world while maximizing the economic benefit of this research for the people of Ontario. We are dedicated professionals who bring expertise to each of our roles. We are looking for individuals who share our values of excellence, innovation, collaboration, impact, responsibility and community.
Launched in December 2005, OICR is an independent institute funded by the Government of Ontario through the Ministry of Colleges and Universities.
For more information about OICR, please visit the website at www.oicr.on.ca.
CLOSING DATE: Until Filled
OICR is an inclusive employer dedicated to building a diverse workforce. We encourage applications from all qualified candidates and will accommodate applicants’ needs throughout all stages of the recruitment and selection process. Please advise the Recruiter to ensure your accessibility needs are accommodated throughout this process. Information received relating to accommodation will be addressed confidentially.
The Ontario Institute for Cancer Research thanks all applicants. However, only those under consideration will be contacted.
Resume Format: If you elect to apply, you will need a text or HTML version of your resume so that you can cut and paste it into the application box provided. Before you submit the completed application, you will be asked to attach one or two files to your application. Please attach your resume as a .pdf or .doc file.